This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.409 / 51°24'32"N
Longitude: -2.6772 / 2°40'38"W
OS Eastings: 352993
OS Northings: 167992
OS Grid: ST529679
Mapcode National: GBR JM.QF98
Mapcode Global: VH88S.KV07
Entry Name: The Long House
Listing Date: 19 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129174
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33885
Location: Barrow Gurney, North Somerset, BS48
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Barrow Gurney
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 56 NW BARROW GURNEY C.P. BARROW STREET (east side)
3/17 The Long House
Detached house. C18, restored and extended in 1905. Squared and coursed rubble
with freestone dressings and copings, double Roman tile roofs. C18 cottage
parallel to road with right hand wing at right-angles forming L shaped plan.
2 storeys. Windows in C18 range are 2 and 3-light 1905 ovolo mullions with small
pane leaded casements ; those to ground floor have hoodmoulds and flush relieving
arches. Similar fenestration to 1905 wing of 3 and 6 lights. Central 1905
doorway in C18 range has Tudor arch, oak leaf carving in the spandrels, 2 long
single lights on either side and a plank door. Restoration tablet with initials
of H. Martin Gibbs of Barrow Court and date set in west wall of C20 wing. This
wing has a double height interior which was used as the village hand laundry.
The Long House forms an important visual element in the streetscape.
Listing NGR: ST5299367992
Other nearby listed buildings