This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3821 / 51°22'55"N
Longitude: -2.6567 / 2°39'24"W
OS Eastings: 354394
OS Northings: 164990
OS Grid: ST543649
Mapcode National: GBR JN.S0G4
Mapcode Global: VH88Z.WJWB
Entry Name: Aqueduct to East of Church of St Mary and St Peter
Listing Date: 4 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34031
Location: Winford, North Somerset, BS40
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Winford
Built-Up Area: Winford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
The following buildings shall be added to the list
ST 56 SW WINFORD
and 56 NW
GV (north side)
Aqueduct to east of the
Church of Ss Mary
Aqueduct for Bristol water supply. Completed 1851, James Simpson, Engineer.
Wrought iron tube, limestone piers and abutments. A run of c260 m of wrought
iron pipe of ovoid section cl.4m deep and 1 m at its widest carried across a
valley on 14 piers in coursed rock-faced masonry, tapered square, to concrete
padstones carrying rocker bearings for the large pipe. Piers vary in height
to accommodate ground profile, and the central pier is cruciform, with raking
buttresses. At either end a stone revetment wall, crowned with simple
iron-railing, containing reservoir in puddled clay. Very prominent in the
valley to the east of the Church of Ss Mary and Peter (q.v.); the pipeline,
still in use, is part of an 18 km supply line (see also Watery Lane, Winford
and Harptree Combe, East Harptree, Wansdyke D.C.), and probably the oldest
surviving example of such engineering.
Listing NGR: ST4702762696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings