History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Coombsend Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Sodbury, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5235 / 51°31'24"N

Longitude: -2.3567 / 2°21'24"W

OS Eastings: 375346

OS Northings: 180567

OS Grid: ST753805

Mapcode National: GBR 0NR.JYV

Mapcode Global: VH95V.3YFZ

Entry Name: Lower Coombsend Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34089

Location: Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, BS37

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Sodbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Old Sodbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chipping Sodbury

Listing Text

ST 78 SE SODBURY CHAPEL LANE
2/42 COOMB'S END
17.9.52
Lower Coombsend
Farmhouse

II


Late mediaeval origins, altered in 1654 and recently restored. Rubble. Double Roman
tiled roof. Large central ashlar stack (renewed). Two storeys and attics in 2 gables
with coped verges and finials. Three windows, 2-, 3- and 4-light casements with
hollow chamfered stone mullions under dripmoulds with returns; all under irregular
relieving arches. (4-light ground floor windows are modern).

Two storey gabled projecting porch (originally a service and staircase rear wing);
2-light mullioned, casement window under dripmould with returns and moulded doorcase
with depressed 4-centred arch carved into lintel (originally a fireplace from the
first floor).

Interior: remains of 4 arch-braced collar trusses. Number of chamfered and ovolo
moulded beams with run-out or notch stops.

Ground floor east room; a fireplace with chamfered stone jambs. West room has ashlar
surround with double ogee moulding and 5-centred flat arch; above are initials and
date G.1654.R

See also:

L. Hall Rural Houses of NorthAvon and South Gloucestershire.

R.C.H.M. Unpublished report.


Listing NGR: ST7534680567

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.