This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.539 / 51°32'20"N
Longitude: -2.3943 / 2°23'39"W
OS Eastings: 372748
OS Northings: 182302
OS Grid: ST727823
Mapcode National: GBR 0NJ.FGP
Mapcode Global: VH95T.GL23
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 29 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34207
Location: Sodbury, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Sodbury
Built-Up Area: Chipping Sodbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Sodbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 7282 SE SODBURY WICKWAR ROAD
5/158 CHIPPING SODBURY
Parish Church of
St John the Baptist
C13 origins but mostly Perpendicular. West tower, Nave and Chancel, with north and
south aisles. Single-storey projecting south porch with castellated parapet and
3 figures (re-inserted in C19) in niches. Restored by G E Street in 1869. Rubble
with ashlar dressings. Cotswold stone tile roof. Ashlar west tower of 4 stages:
later Perpendicular with diagonal buttresses and blind panelled and pierced
castellated parapet; crocketed pinnacles; 5-light west window; good 2- and 3-light
pierced tracery windows on third and fourth stages.
Interior: Tierceron vault in tower. Four bay Nave with Perpendicular arcades; those
on south side have slight ogee arch; north bay nearest chancel is Early English. C15
pulpit built into wall between third and fourth bay of north arcade, much restored by
G E Street but retains fan-vault inside and leaded 2-light window to north aisle.
Early English chancel arch with twisted terminals. Two bay chancel, Early English to
north and Perpendicular to south-north chapel has Early English piscina and finely,
carved C15 image bracket. Incised stone slab to Richard Colmore, 1513, under double
C13 font, plain octagonal bowl on octagonal shaft with roll at top and bottom. C19
pews, choir stalls and reredos.
Some remains of Perpendicular-boarded roof, mostly restored.
Listing NGR: ST7274982306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings