This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1257 / 53°7'32"N
Longitude: -2.8668 / 2°52'0"W
OS Eastings: 342095
OS Northings: 359077
OS Grid: SJ420590
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.704X
Mapcode Global: WH88M.YP1M
Entry Name: 2 Old School Houses
Listing Date: 2 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55202
Location: Aldford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Aldford and Saighton
Built-Up Area: Aldford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Aldford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 NW ALDFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD
6/7 2 Old School Houses
Former Schoolhouse, opened April 1872 (Aldford Boys School Logbook in
Cheshire Record Office), closed as a school in 1912 and converted to 2
cottages. Built at the expense of the 3rd Marquis of Westminster
adjoining the site of an earlier school (tithe map for Aldford 1837 in
Cheshire Record Office). Brown brick, English garden wall bond, on
battered plinth of squared snecked rubble sandstone; half timbered
gables. Steeply pitched red tile roofs with 2 rectangular brick
chimneys on main ridge. One and a half storeys with a front of 4
windows. The former school hall, left, has gables to front and end on
stone corbels; the Schoolmaster's house, right, has a half dormer
gable to front and, central, a small dormer under a raking roof.
Small-pane iron casements in bevelled mullioned openings of sandstone
in the lower storey and timber-framed openings in the upper one.
Framed and boarded doors. Interiors not inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ4209559077
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings