This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5066 / 50°30'23"N
Longitude: -3.6655 / 3°39'55"W
OS Eastings: 281995
OS Northings: 68747
OS Grid: SX819687
Mapcode National: GBR QN.VD0P
Mapcode Global: FRA 376Q.HS9
Entry Name: Gaia House
Listing Date: 15 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473218
Location: Denbury and Torbryan, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Denbury and Torbryan
Built-Up Area: Denbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Denbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 77 SE TORBRYAN
4/27 Gaia House
Retreat house, formerly a rectory. Late C17 (or possible earlier) enlarged in
1847. Painted render, solid walls. Slated roofs. Double-depth plan with a third range abutting and at right-angles to the other plan with a third range abutting and at right-angles to the other two. Two storeys. The three ranges are of quite distinct character and (presumably) date. Front range of 1847 in romantic 'Tudor' style. Four-window front with large, two-storeyed gabled entrance-porch off-centre to left. Angle-buttresses, moulded coping with kneelers. Moulded doorway with two-centred arch and hood-mould; inner door of two leaves, the upper part and the fanlight above with small-paned glazing and margin lights. One window above and stone bell-turret and bell in gable, the latter projecting on corbels and with a shouldered head, probably inserted reset work. Large projecting chimney-stack with off-sets to right shaft rebuilt. Ground storey has window at either side of porch, these and the four second-storey windows having mullioned and transomed wood casements 2 panes below transom. All but the right-hand second-storey window have straight heavily-moulded hood-mould. Rear range predominantly of late C17. Four- window front with three large projecting stone chimney-stacks, each having on top a pair of diagonally-set brick shafts of C19 date. All windows (except for C19 French window to left of ground storey) have wood casements of 3 lights, the mullions of square section with light ogee mouldings internally and ovolo mouldings externally. Third second-storey window from left a half-landing stair window.
Beneath it a small C19 doorway with four-centred head. Two dormer windows with
barge-boards and finials of C19. Interior has wooden dog-leg staircase with closed moulded strings, flat handrail, square newels and turned balusters, rising to garret; balusters, of probably late C17 profile, have been re-set at wider spacings. Roof-structure, probably C19. Lower range with roof mainly at right-angles to the other two except at the garden end which has a gabled roof with a brick stack. 2 later brick shafts in gable; C17 stack with tapered top in front gable. Rear wall has three-light window in each storey matching those in adjacent range. Roof structure not inspected. Both the earlier ranges may have fireplaces and other features hidden under plaster.
Ref. White's Directory of Devonshire 1850 p 433. Formerly known as Denbury Rectory.
Listing NGR: SX8199568747
Other nearby listed buildings