History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Synagogue

A Grade II* Listed Building in Plymouth, City of Plymouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3694 / 50°22'9"N

Longitude: -4.1406 / 4°8'25"W

OS Eastings: 247869

OS Northings: 54354

OS Grid: SX478543

Mapcode National: GBR RBM.GF

Mapcode Global: FRA 2862.4R0

Entry Name: Synagogue

Listing Date: 25 January 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130015

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473229

Location: Plymouth, PL1

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Turnchapel

Listing Text


PLYMOUTH

SX4754 CATHERINE STREET, Plymouth
740-1/57/358 (West side)
25/01/54 Synagogue

GV II*

Synagogue. Founded 1762, remodelled interior 1862 and to front
and rear after 1874. Stuccoed walls; dry slate roof with coped
gable ends; stepped acroterion to front gable. Rectangular
aisle-less plan.
EXTERIOR: single storey; 2-windows to front end with oculus
with star of David above; 3 windows to each side, all
round-arched windows with coloured leaded glass, and 2-storey
entrance end with 4 windows within eared architraves to 1st
floor. 3 segmental arched doorways with continuous cornice
consoles.
INTERIOR: virtually complete C18 interior with latticed
women's gallery with thin iron columns, extended to N and S
sides in 1862; 2 fluted Corinthian columns flanking an arch
filled with a coffered pattern and with large urns to the
entablature; the Bimah to centre surrounded by C18 turned
balustrade surmounted by 8 original brass candlesticks;
original pine benches; carved wooden ark, lavishly decorated
and gilded, and set of silver bells.
This is the oldest English Ashkenazi synagogue, and in a
national context is a remarkable example which both predates
and is more complete than any other synagogues.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
648).


Listing NGR: SX4786954354

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.