This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2689 / 51°16'8"N
Longitude: -0.3249 / 0°19'29"W
OS Eastings: 516953
OS Northings: 153526
OS Grid: TQ169535
Mapcode National: GBR HG4.8NT
Mapcode Global: VHGS1.BC2M
Entry Name: Box Hill School
Listing Date: 22 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473243
Location: Mickleham, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Mickleham
Built-Up Area: Mickleham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Mickleham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 15 SE DORKING OLD LONDON ROAD
850/8/10012 Box Hill School
Large house, later school. Dated 1883 with the initials F and H. Built in 1883 as a wedding present for the daughter of D H Evans, the owner of the Oxford Street store. Gothic style. Built of red brick with stone dressings, slate roof with ridge tiles and a series of tall brick chimneystacks. Main part of two to three storeys; six windows, with one storey and attic wings. All windows to front have stained glass but the upper floors have only their upper parts with stained glass. West or entrance front has left side three storey five-light stone canted bay with mullioned and transomed windows with trefoil heads to ground floor and carved stone panels between floors. To the right is a dormer with triple window and two windows, on the first floor double mullioned and transomed casements and ground floor triple arched windows. Central tower with mansard roof (originally with spirelet demolished in 1950s)and four angle turrets. Double mullioned and transomed window to second floor, four-light oriel to first floor and arched doorcase to ground floor. Projecting bay to right has C20 window to first floor and double trefoil-headed window to ground floor with mullioned and transomed casement. End bay has gable with finial, triple mullioned and transomed window to second and first floors and five-light window to ground floor with mullions and transomes. Left wing of one storey with gabled dormer and four windows with trefoil heads. Right wing was formerly a service wing and has a C20 flat-roofed addition. East elevation or garden front is of similar character with three projecting gables and the end three bays to right have stone canted bays with many trefoil heads and left hand bay has stone oriel, Centre has wooden verandah forming balcony at first floor level. C20 flat-roofed dining hall to left hand side.
INTERIOR: Entrance Hall has marquetry inlaid floor, coffered ceiling, screen with ogee arch, elaborate fireplace and stained glass windows with figures of Peace and Hospitality and roundels of the seasons and eminent men. Common Room has plastered ceiling and stained glass windows depicting flowers. Library has built in bookshelves, fireplace and coffered ceiling. Former Dining Room has four centred arched black marble fireplace with decorated spandrels, columns, built-in ogee-headed mirror, panelling and coffered ceiling. Room in left wing has kingpost type roof and stained glass windows. Open well staircase with elaborate cinquefoil-headed balusters and chamfered newel posts with quatrefoils. First floor alcove in central tower. The former principal bedroom has stained glass depicting Day and Night. Headmaster's Study has owl stained glass and original fireplace. Art Nouveau fireplace to second floor. Roof structure of through purlins and principal rafters.
Listing NGR: TQ1695353526
Other nearby listed buildings