This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5452 / 52°32'42"N
Longitude: -0.3403 / 0°20'24"W
OS Eastings: 512648
OS Northings: 295438
OS Grid: TL126954
Mapcode National: GBR GYM.JS9
Mapcode Global: VHGKV.19Z7
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 December 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54835
Location: Chesterton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7
Civil Parish: Chesterton
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
CHESTERTON OUNDLE ROAD
13/27 Parish church of
Parish church. C12 nave, south aisle early C13 and ground stage of tower.
Chancel arch c.1300 and north aisle, mid C14 clerestory and spire to tower.
Chancel rebuilt c.1730 and south porch added. Restorations in 1841 and 1907,
architects Townsend and Fordham. Walls of stone rubble and ashlar dressings.
Roofs of lead. South elevation: West tower of two stages surmounted by a
broach-spire with corbel-table of carved heads, stair turret in south-west
angle, belfry window of two pointed lights with a pierced spandrel in a
two-centred head with chamfered label; tall lancet window below, two tiers of
gabled spire lights each with two trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head. Nave with embattled parapet with ball-flower ornament and
three clerestory windows c.1330 each with three trefoiled lights in a square
head with moulded label and mask stops; small ogee headed trefoiled light to
east. South aisle with plain parapet and two C18 depressed semi-circular
headed windows with plain imposts and keystone. South doorway C13 with
two-centred head of three moulded orders with moulded label, two orders on
detached shafts with capitals carved with 'stiff-leaf' ornament and one with
carved head. C18 south porch with a semi-circular headed archway with Gibbs
surround. Chancel rebuilt in ashlar with plain parapet and plinth and
rusticated quoins; round-headed arches to priest's doorway and eastern window
similar to south aisle. Two rainwater pipes inscribed 'GG 1821' (Hon. Rev.
George Gordon, Rector 1819-1863). Interior: Nave arcades of four bays, north
arcade with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with moulded labels to
the nave, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases the later south
arcade has two octagonal and one round pier, one with 'waterleaf' foliage and
one with 'stiff-leaf' foliage carved capitals, all with moulded bases. West
tower arch, two-centred of three chamfered orders, the inner two orders on
half-round responds with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch c.1300,
two-centred of two chamfered orders with moulded label and mask stops. C18
chancel screen of three arcaded bays frieze and cornice with plastered wall
above. Reredos with coupled Ionic pilasters and wide pediment. C18 pulpit.
C18 baluster font. Piscina in south aisle with chamfered jambs, two centred
head C13, and recess in north aisle with shouldered triangular head and carved
head stop above apex. Nave roof C17 of five bays with cambered tie beams;
north aisle roof with five curved stop-chamfered tie beams. Monuments and
floor slabs see RCHM and VCH, of note to Sir Robert Bevill and his son
Sir Robert dated 1611, and to John Driden 1707-8.
RCHM Huntingdonshire p54
VCH Huntinjdonshire p142
Pevsner Buidings of England p231
Inskip Ladds Collectio, Norris Museum, St Ives.
Listing NGR: TL1264895438
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings