History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Chesterton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.545 / 52°32'42"N

Longitude: -0.3392 / 0°20'20"W

OS Eastings: 512723

OS Northings: 295423

OS Grid: TL127954

Mapcode National: GBR GYM.K19

Mapcode Global: VHGKV.29KB

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 11 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130090

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54837

Location: Chesterton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Chesterton

Built-Up Area: Peterborough

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Chesterton

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Alwalton

Listing Text

CHESTERTON OUNDLE ROAD
TL 1295
(North Side)
13/29 The Priory
11.2.86
GV II
House, formerly a rectory. Built for Hon Rev G.Gordon nephew of the Marquis
of Huntly; architect W J Donthorne (1799-1859). Gothic revival. Dated 1852,
an addition to an C18 building with service extensions, later C19 billiard
room linked to east side. Ashlar Ketton limestone and dressings, coursed
rubble limestone with ashlar dressings and dressed stone quoins, and C19
painted brick. Collyweston stone slated roofs with patterned ridge tiles, and
pantiled roofs. Two storeys and attics, two storey rear service wing, and
single storey extensions. Main north-south range with side stack to west
slightly advanced from range to east at right angles with gable end stack.
Gabled entrance porch facing west in angle between main range and service
wing. South elevation: Plain chamfered parapet gables, band between floors
with moulded edge, and plinth. Side stack and gable end stack of two stages
with moulded cornices and one with embattled decoration. Dated gable plaque
'1852', recessed in niche with square head, label and foliate stops. Two
similar ground floor three light hung sash windows with ogee-trefoiled-heads
and blank shields in spandrels. Two first floor hung sash three-light windows
with moulded cornice, one with facade gable, to right hand. Cast iron gutters
with scalloped heads. Entrance porch: Gabled with hollow-chamfered parapet
coping; diagonal buttress of two stages to left hand of doorway approached by
stone steps. Double-leafed door with glazed panels shaped to two-centred
archway with continuous moulded orders, label and head stops. Plaque with
Huntly achievement or arms recessed in niche above doorway with trefoiled
head. Interior: Gothic staircase; three stone chimney pieces, one with ball
flower and crocket ornament; original panelled doors; pattern tiles to
entrance lobby.

RIBA Collection, building description by W J Donthorne.
Dixon and Muthesius Victorian Architecture p257
Colvin 2nd Ed


Listing NGR: TL1272395423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.