This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4185 / 52°25'6"N
Longitude: -0.3368 / 0°20'12"W
OS Eastings: 513205
OS Northings: 281355
OS Grid: TL132813
Mapcode National: GBR H05.CNN
Mapcode Global: VHGLF.3GSV
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54803
Location: Hamerton and Steeple Gidding, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Hamerton and Steeple Gidding
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Gidding St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 18 SW STEEPLE GIDDING STEEPLE GIDDING
3/84 Parish Church of
28.1.58 St Andrew
Parish church. C12 south doorway and C13 reused stone. South nave arcade and
south aisle early C14, chancel c.1330 and nave rebuilt. West tower late C14
built partly within the nave. South porch C19 replacing original porch.
Restoration in 1874, west tower 1899. Walls of rubble and ashlar with
dressings of Ketton and Barnack stone. Roofs of lead. South elevation: West
tower of two stages with moulded plinth, embattled parapet with gargoyles at
angles of lower moulded strings; octagonal stone spire. Four clerestory
windows each of two trefoiled-ogee-lights with blind tracery in a square head.
Two aisle windows, with three trefoiled ogee lights with blind tracery in a
square head. South doorway with reused C12 and C13 moulded and carved stones
forming a two-centred arch with chevron enriched outer order springing from
detached shafts with carved capitals and moulded bases. South porch with
two-centred outer archway of two chamfered orders springing from semi-circular
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel with projecting
plinth and moulded string below windows; two windows c.1330 each of two
trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, south doorway with
moulded jambs and segmental-pointed head. Interior: Nave south arcade of
four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal piers and
semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. Tower arch
two-centred of four chamfered orders. Chancel arch rebuilt reusing C14 semi-
octagonal responds. C14 piscina in chancel with chamfered jambs and
two-centred head, octagonal drain and wooden shelf; piscina in south aisle
C14 with stop-chamfered jambs, ogee-head and octofoil drain. Sedile in
chancel, sill of window stepped to form three seats. Font, octagonal bowl of
Ketton stone with plain octagonal stem and chamfered base C16, oak cover
possibly C17. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM.
RCHM: Huntingdonshire p256
VCH: Huntingdonshire p59
Pevsner: Buildings of England p346
Listing NGR: TL1320581355
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings