This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3699 / 52°22'11"N
Longitude: -0.4295 / 0°25'46"W
OS Eastings: 507024
OS Northings: 275805
OS Grid: TL070758
Mapcode National: GBR FZB.D7R
Mapcode Global: VHFP3.HPTM
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54732
Location: Brington and Molesworth, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Brington and Molesworth
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Molesworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 0675 BRINGTON AND MOLESWORTH MOLESWORTH
20/13 Parish Church of
28.1.58 St Peter
Parish church. Chancel c.1270-80. Nave rebuilt C15 and west tower added late
C15. Restoration 1884-5, chancel reconstructed; south porch added 1890.
Walls of Weldon limestone rubble and field stones, Ketton and Barnack
limestone dressings. Roofs of plain tiles and lead. South elevation: Tower
of two stages with chamfered plinth and embattled parapet. Single second
stage cinquefoiled-light with moulded label. Nave, with chamfered plinth and
projecting parapet and pilaster-strips extended from buttresses; two late C15
windows each of three cinquefoiled lights in four-centred heads with moulded
labels. Late C13 south doorway with two-centred arch with one stop-chamfered
order and shafted jambs one with a moulded capital and the other carved with
oak foliage, both with moulded bases. Chancel with moulded plinth and string
course below windows. Two sets of graded lancet-lights with chamfered jambs
(similar to north wall though not graded). Priest's doorway with two-centred
head has two hollow-chamfered orders with a moulded string, to west a
'low-side' window with a square-head. Interior: Noteworthy wall paintings of
St Christopher (RCHM plate 105) and St Anthony. Tower arch, two-centred of
two orders, the outer hollow-chamfered and continuous, the inner wave-moulded
with semi circular responds and semi-octagonal moulded capitals and moulded
bases. Doorway in east wall to roof with two-centred arch in a square head.
Blocked C15 north doorway to nave with chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
Chancel arch, late C13, two-centred of two chamfered orders, the inner with
semi-circular attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and with a
moulded label to the nave. North and south wall arcades of three bays with
two-centred arches and one chamfered order with moulded labels. The arches of
the second and third northern bays carried down to seat recesses; the third
arch in the south wall has the priest's doorway and 'low-side' window. The
early C15 roof of the nave of three 'bays' has moulded and cambered tie beams
and short king posts, moulded purlins and ridges. The chancel roof has some
reused C14 timbers. Font, early C18, octagonal baluster shaped, with shallow
bowl. Piscinae in chancel with circular drain and moulded square head.
Pulpit, early C18. Sundial on second buttress of south wall of nave.
Fragments of early masonry in north nave wall.
RCHM: Huntingdonshire P182
VCH: Huntingdonshire p21
Pevsner: Buildings of England p294
Listing NGR: TL0702475805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings