History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bythorn and Keyston, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3711 / 52°22'15"N

Longitude: -0.4488 / 0°26'55"W

OS Eastings: 505702

OS Northings: 275911

OS Grid: TL057759

Mapcode National: GBR FZ9.7CQ

Mapcode Global: VHFP3.5NLQ

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 28 January 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54752

Location: Bythorn and Keyston, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Bythorn and Keyston

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Keyston St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Catworth

Listing Text

TL 0475 BYTHORN AND KEYSTON BYTHORN

19/33 Parish Church of
28.1.58 St Lawrence

II*

Parish church. Reused C12 details. Late C13 chancel, nave and north aisle.
South aisle and arcade early C14. Chancel rebuilt c.1340 and widened, also
north aisle. West tower and south porch c.1340. Clerestory C15 and north
chapel C16. Restorations, tower and spire 1843, the whole church in 1870 and
chancel 1874, tower repairs in 1907 and capping c.1960. Walls of Weldon
limestone rubble, and field stones, squared and ashlar Weldon stone. Roofs of
slate and lead. South elevation: West tower of three stages with moulded
plinth and diagonal buttresses rising above belfry windows, and with a frieze
band of quatrefoils in circles with a moulded cornice enriched with carved
grotesque faces. Octagonal broached spire originally with three tiers of
spire lights, now capped. Rectangular projecting stair turret in south-east
corner. Clerestory with four square-headed two-trefoiled-light windows and
embattled parapet. South aisle has three restored two-trefoiled-light windows
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with moulded labels and mask stops.
South doorway C13 reset with moulded imposts and two-centred chamfered head
with moulded label and defaced head stops. South porch restored with
two-centred archway of two chamfered orders supported by semi-circular
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel of two bays with
steeply pitched roof, two two-light restored windows with C14 jambs.
Interior: Nave, north arcade late C13, of four bays with two-centred arches
of two chamfered orders with moulded label to the nave, and with alternating
circular and octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. South
arcade early C14 of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders
with moulded label to the nave, and quatrefoil piers with moulded caps and
bases,. The western arch was probably rebuilt when the tower was built.
Tower arch, two-centred of continuous moulded orders with moulded label to the
nave, above the arch is the line of the former roof. Chancel arch restored
c.1340, two-centred of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the
inner on semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered bases and
on either side a squint. North chapel arcade C16 of two bays with two-centred
arches of two orders, the outer hollow-chamfered and continuous and the inner
springing from semi-circular shafts to a central pier and responds with
moulded capitals and defaced bases. Recess in east wall of chancel; south
east window carried down to form a seat; piscina C13 resited with
hollow-chamfered jambs and trefoiled head with cusping, bowl with octofoiled
drain. Font, C16 or C17 octagonal bowl with chamfered upper and lower edge,
plain octagonal stem and chamfered base on modern plinth. For monuments and
floor slabs see RCHM. Sundials on buttress of south wall of chancel, and
south-west tower buttress.

RCHM: Huntingdonshire p46
VCH: Huntingdonshire p26
Pevsner: Buildings of England p226
Inskipp-Ladds. Correspondence 1907 HRO


Listing NGR: TL0570275911

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.