History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Upwood, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4277 / 52°25'39"N

Longitude: -0.1491 / 0°8'56"W

OS Eastings: 525943

OS Northings: 282687

OS Grid: TL259826

Mapcode National: GBR J1K.YYP

Mapcode Global: VHGLJ.C7JS

Plus Code: 9C4XCVH2+38

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 28 January 1958

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54699

Location: Upwood and the Raveleys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE26

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Upwood and the Raveleys

Built-Up Area: Upwood

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Upwood

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 2582

CHURCH LANE (South Side)
Church of St. Peter


Parish church. Circa 1100 chancel arch, c.1200 north nave arcade, and rebuilding of chancel. Late C13 south arcade and west tower. 1880-90 rebuilding of north aisle and west tower. Fieldstone, rubblestone and dressed limestone. Parapetted roofs. Plan of west tower, nave and north and south aisles and chancel.

West tower of three stages, embattled with crocketted corner pinnacles, and short spire, leaded and moulded main cornice. C19 west window. Early C14 niche built in west wall and a corbel of a woman's head in a wimple reset. Bell stage of two openings divided by mullion in two centred arch with label. Nave has C15 clerestory of three windows of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. South aisle has pentice roof with end parapets. Two restored three-light windows. Doorway in two centred arch of continuously moulded orders. Chancel, C12, remodelled C14-C15, restored C19-C20. One C12 lancet and two C14-C15 windows in south wall, one with low side. C15 embattled parapet and C20 buttressing. Restored east window of three lights, C15. Another C12 lancet in north wall and two cinquefoil lights. North aisle, C12 in origin. Restored C14-C15. Fenestration of two windows, of three cinquefoil lights each in four centred arches.

Interior: C13 tower arch. Two centred of three chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal columns to the responds. North arcade, C12 of three bays. Round arches of two chamfered orders. The western arch was rebuilt in C13. Round columns with scalloped capitals, chamfered abaci rebated corners and moulded base.

Remains of two blocked early C12 windows above north arcade. West end of north aisle has a lancet window with a trefoil head and a wide splay rear arch. The south arcade is C13. Three bays of two centred arches of two unequal chamfered orders, on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C15 roof in three bays. Braced tie beams with pierced spandrels, on jackposts carried on unmoulded stone corbels. Carved bosses at intersections of intermediate principal rafters and purlins. C13 piscina in south wall of south aisle.

Chancel arch and responds, c.1100, remain from aisleless church. Depressed round arch of two unmoulded orders on piers with square responds and chamfered impost. The chancel has deep splays to the lancets in north and south walls.
Monuments. North wall of chancel. Peter Phesaunt (1649) and Mary (Bruges), his wife. Early C17. Inscribed stone tablet flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an entablature with flaming urns, an achievement of arms with large pheasant crest, apron with hour glass and skull. South wall of south aisle wall. Monument. 1730. Stone cartouche flanked by Ionic engaged columns with entablature and segmental pediment with emblems of mortality.

Font: C12. Square bowl on square base. The lower edge of the bowl is chamfered and the upper edge of the plinth is splayed. C17 font cover oak. Communion table in south aisle, C17. Oak. Turned legs with rail. Restored. Chancel screen: C15. Repaired. Three bays including centre bay. Ogee foiled heads.

Earl Ailwyn gave the manor of Upwood and Raveley to the Abbot of Ramsey in c.970. In 1086 the Abbot had a church and priest there and II considerable woodland.

V.C.H. Hunts., Vol. II
R.C.H.M. Hunts., mon (1)
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p360

Listing NGR: TL2594382687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.