History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Barn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upwood, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4286 / 52°25'43"N

Longitude: -0.1506 / 0°9'2"W

OS Eastings: 525840

OS Northings: 282793

OS Grid: TL258827

Mapcode National: GBR J1K.QQP

Mapcode Global: VHGLJ.B7R1

Entry Name: The Old Barn

Listing Date: 2 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162855

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54707

Location: Upwood and the Raveleys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE26

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Upwood and the Raveleys

Built-Up Area: Upwood

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Upwood

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Upwood

Listing Text

TL 2582 UPWOOD AND THE RAVELEYS HIGH STREET
(West Side) UPWOOD
13/73 The Old Barn (No 56A)

GV II*

House. C14 open hall at rear of a C16-C17 south-west north-east addition.
open Hall. C14 with C16 addition at the north-west end. Timber-framed, with
later repairs and brick infill. Plain tiled roof. Two bays remain of C14 building, with a further two added C16 at west end. Single storey. Some framing is exposed externally. Until c.1984 the open hall adjoined the C16-C17 south-west north-east front range. Timber-framed, with gault brick alterations to the front wall. Roof rebuilt c.1984 and covered with pantiles. Stack inserted. Three bays in single range with C19 doorway to left hand end bay. Two storeys, segmental arches to three first floor and four ground floor window openings. Interior: Open hall. Centre truss has arch bracing to the collar rafter roof with hollow mouldings to collar and bracing. The rafters are scarfed to the principal posts. The responds of the principal posts have engaged shafts with scallop capitals, carved from the same timber. The roof is of wind braced clasped purlin type. The purlins are ogee moulded. The truss at the east end has been removed. The tie beam of this truss is now incorporated as a lintel above a modern inglenook in the C16-C17 part of the house. This tie beam which may have been the cornice of a screen, is moulded on one side and has rose paterae carved to the centre part of the moulding. The truss on the west end is more intact. It formed the original gable end. The tie beam is cambered and there is downward wall bracing. The site for a diamond mullion window and the rebates for shutters is visible in the tie beam. There is no evidence of smoke blackening, but this may be obscured by later lime wash. The interior of the C16-C17 front range retains wholly or partly the four arch braced trusses with jowled heads to the posts. There is some wall framing still extent in the north end truss and part of the rear wall. The roof is c.1984. Earl Ailwine gave Upwood and Raveley manors to Ramsey Abbey c.970. In 1086 the Abbot had a church and priest and considerable woodland here.
Mrs E M Davis: Records of Hunts. 1984, p24
R.C.H.M. Hunts. mon. {2)
V.C.H. Hunts Vol. II


Listing NGR: TL2584082793

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.