This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3659 / 52°21'57"N
Longitude: -0.2251 / 0°13'30"W
OS Eastings: 520948
OS Northings: 275684
OS Grid: TL209756
Mapcode National: GBR J27.PWT
Mapcode Global: VHGLP.1SVP
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Last Amended: 21 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54612
Location: The Stukeleys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: The Stukeleys
Built-Up Area: Alconbury Airfield
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Little Stukeley St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 27 SW THE STUKELEYS CHURCH WAY
5/144 Church of
28.1.58 St. Martin
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Martin, Little Stukeley)
Parish church, mainly C13 but with much reused material from C12
church on the site. Late C13 west tower with later bell stage
dated 1659 on parapet. Of rubble and pebblestone with some
Barnack. Embattled with crocketed pinnacles at angles and
traceried panelling to parapet. Of three stages on splayed
plinth with angle buttressing. The west doorway is late C13 but
the west window is restored and the bell chamber openings are
1659. In the ground stage there are four reset shafts and other
moulded stone from the C12 church on the site. Late C13. Nave
of rubblestone with plain tiled roof and parapet. Moulded main
cornice with gargoyles at corners. Clerestorey of two windows,
three cinquefoil lights in four centred head. South aisle and
south chapel, probably late C15 or early C16. Coursed
limestone. Embattled parapet with moulded main cornice with
beast and grotesque gargoyles. Four windows, including those at
east and west ends. Of three cinquefoil lights with vertical
tracery in four-centred arches with moulded label and mask
stops. South porch. Late C15 or early C16 but with date 1652
to gable end. Embattled parapet with pinnacles at corners. Two
stage angle buttressing on small splayed plinth. Depressed
four-centred outer arch of two wave moulded orders, inner
carried on attached shaft with moulded capital and base.
Shallow ogee label with running foliate decoration. C15 or
early C16 inner arch, two-centred and of two hollow moulded
orders with label. Two reset corbels carved with angels on
either side of doorway. One to right above late C15 or early
C16 holy water stoup. Chancel, pebble and rubblestone with east
end rebuilt in coursed limestone ashlar. Leaded, shallow pitch
roof. C15 east window of three cinquefoil lights. C13 north
aisle, rebuilt 1887, containing some reused mediaeval stone.
Interior. Tower arch of three chamfered orders, the inner
carried on attached shafts with moulded capital and base. C13
north and south arcades of two bays. Two centred arches of two
chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded octagonal
capitals and bases. Attached to the centre column of the north
arcade is a large bracket, the soffit carved with an angel. C19
roof on original carved stone corbels. C15-C16 chancel arch of
two chamfered orders, with responds with attached shafts and
moulded capitals and bases. Late C15 or early C16 openings to
north and south chapels. The walls of the chancel contain some
moulded stone reused from earlier church on site. Font, C15.
Octagonal with each face carved with a quatrefoil in a circle.
Carved soffit on octagonal stem. Above the chancel arch is a
C17 panel with moulded frame.
RCHM (Hunts) mon.(1), p266.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p286.
Listing NGR: TL2094875684
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings