This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3656 / 52°21'56"N
Longitude: -0.2254 / 0°13'31"W
OS Eastings: 520927
OS Northings: 275656
OS Grid: TL209756
Mapcode National: GBR J27.PTP
Mapcode Global: VHGLP.1SPW
Plus Code: 9C4X9Q8F+6R
Entry Name: Little Stukeley War Memorial
Listing Date: 1 November 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439206
Location: The Stukeleys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: The Stukeleys
Built-Up Area: Alconbury Airfield
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Little Stukeley St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Ely
First World War memorial, 1920, with a further name added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Weldon limestone.
DESCRIPTION: Little Stukeley War Memorial is situated in the churchyard of St Martin’s Church. It is a Latin cross of octagonal profile with a carved wreath attached to its front face. The cross rises from a tapered octagonal shaft which is set upon an octagonal plinth with carved corner panels and a moulded base.
The front face of the memorial has a stone plaque attached which reads: TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE FOLLOWING MEN OF LITTLE STUKELEY/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ “GOD PROVED THEM AND FOUND THEM/ WORTHY FOR HIMSELF” WISDOM III 5/ (NAMES)/ “LET THOSE WHO CAME AFTER SEE TO IT/ THAT THEIR NAMES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN”/ KING GEORGE V.
On the back of the memorial is inscribed: 1939 – 1945/ (NAME)/ UNTIL THE DAY DAWNS.
It is surrounded by a chain fence attached to stone posts.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Little Stukeley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Little Stukeley War Memorial was unveiled by George Charles Montagu, 9th Earl of Sandwich, in 1920. It commemorates eight local servicemen who fell in the First World War. One name was added to the war memorial following the end of the Second World War.
In 2008 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Little Stukeley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Latin cross with carved decorative details;
* Group value: with the Church of St Martin (Grade II*) and 11 Church Way opposite (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings