This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3847 / 52°23'4"N
Longitude: -0.1783 / 0°10'41"W
OS Eastings: 524078
OS Northings: 277859
OS Grid: TL240778
Mapcode National: GBR J23.HQD
Mapcode Global: VHGLP.VBL6
Entry Name: Abbots Ripton Hall
Listing Date: 2 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130177
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54638
Location: Abbots Ripton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Abbots Ripton
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Abbots Ripton with Wood Walton
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 2477 ABBOTS RIPTON HALL LANE
17/4 Abbots Ripton Hall
Country house. An earlier house on the site was almost completely rebuilt circa 1800. Extended at north end late C19. Alterations and additions of mid-late C20 by Peter Foster. Local gault brick with some red brick in south-east end. Hipped roof, slate roofs partly obscured by parapet without main cornice. Internal stacks. T-plan formed of an east-west main range at south end and north-south range. Domestic and nursery quarters at north end, and additions on east and west sides. Two storeys and two storeys and attic with plain band between the storeys. South front has a central half-round two storey porch of three window bays. Three twelve pane hung sashes under flat, grey brick arches. The first floor is carried on open Roman Doric portico with double doorway in round headed arch. Flanking the porch at ground floor are four full length casements with shaped wood pelmets and at first floor four hung sashes including a blind opening. The west front is of two storeys at the south end. Similar twelve pane hung sashes to principal storeys, some with wood pelmets, under grey or brown brick flat arches. The Chinese style loggia and treillage work on this front are by Peter Foster. On the east side the doorway has a modern fluted Roman Doric case and above a Venetian window, also modern. The later C19 additions at the north end are of white brick and the parapet has a main cornice. There is a late C19 dove house, at the entry. Brick with reed thatch roof and timber landing stage, also thatched. The main portion of the manor was acquired in 1794 by William Henry Fellowes whose descendant, Lord de Ramsey is now Lord of the Manor. The gardens were designed by Lord and Lady de Ramsey and most of the garden buildings are by Peter Foster.
Huntingdon RO: Map 1775 (Acc 208 MD2)
Abbots Ripton Hall Estate Office: Map 1623 " VCH: Hunts vol 2
Country-Life: Vol CL V p626
Listing NGR: TL2407877859
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings