This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2944 / 52°17'39"N
Longitude: -0.2528 / 0°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 519252
OS Northings: 267685
OS Grid: TL192676
Mapcode National: GBR J35.2X5
Mapcode Global: VHGM1.KLQH
Entry Name: The Great Tower
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 3 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54294
Location: Buckden, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE19
Civil Parish: Buckden
Built-Up Area: Buckden
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Buckden St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
BUCKDEN HIGH STREET
THE GREAT TOWER
24.10.51 (FORMERLY LISTED
AS PART OF
Late C15 tower recently restored by the Claretian Mission. Red
brick with burnt brick diapering and patterning. Limestone
dressings. Three storeys with basement and four octagonal,
embattled turrets at angles rising above the main parapet.
Moulded string courses between floors; chamfered plinth.
Windows of one, two, and three lights with cinquefoiled lights
in square heads and moulded labels at ground and first floors,
and basement. The doorway to the basement has an inner and
outer arch, the doorway to the ground floor is approached by
steps and has a four-centred arch and label. The interior has
C20 inserted floors. North-east turret has a stone staircase,
partly restored, with moulded stone hand-rail and stone newel.
South-east turret has recesses for garderobes. The fireplace at
ground floor has a four-centred arch. The first floor fireplace
is C17 with moulded jambs, the second floor fireplace is
plastered brick. Doorways to the turrets at each floor level
have four-centred heads.
Since Domesday the manor of Buckden had belonged to the Bishop
of Lincoln until it was purchased by Sir Arthur Marshall
(Marshall and Snelgrove) in late C19. The outer gateway and
boundary wall, the inner gatehouse and curtain wall are remains
of Buckden Palace built by Bishop John Iiilliams (1625-1642).
The moat with the exception of the western arm was filled in and
the medieval hall and great chamber were demolished by the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners after 1838. Further demolitions
were made by Mr James Marshall of the north wing of the inner
gable house, and the medieval bridge. Queen Catherine of Aragon
resided at the Palace in 1533 and 1534,AM.
RCHM - Huntingdonshire, pp34-38
VCH - Huntingdonshire, p268
Pevsner - Buildings of England, p215
Inskip Ladds Collection. Norris Mus. St Ives
A History of Buckden Palace, M Sweeny, 1981, p4
C.R.O. Huntingdon - Collection of photographs and prints
Listing NGR: TL1925267685
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings