This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5381 / 51°32'17"N
Longitude: -0.1493 / 0°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 528446
OS Northings: 183756
OS Grid: TQ284837
Mapcode National: GBR B2.MT
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.CLDR
Entry Name: Cecil Sharp House
Listing Date: 22 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477848
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Camden Town with Primrose Hill
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mark Regents Park
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2883NW REGENT'S PARK ROAD
798-1/75/1383 (North side)
22/12/87 Cecil Sharp House
Headquarters of the English Folk Dance and Song Society.
1929-30. By HM Fletcher. For the English Folk Dance Society.
Partly rebuilt 1949-51 after war damage. Brown brick and
tiled, hipped roof. Neo-Georgian style. Rectangular plan on a
triangular corner site.
EXTERIOR: 1 to 2 storeys plus basement. Front facade of 1 tall
storey, 5 bays. Square-headed stone-architraved doorways with
wooden panelled doors to end bays; approached by steps with
cast-iron railings. Gauged brick flat arches to tall metal
framed windows with margin glazing and small panes
articulating the double height dance hall. Pilaster strips at
angles continue through parapet with brick band to terminate
with stone ball finials.
INTERIOR: following the post-war rebuilding a former
musicians' gallery in the dance hall was replaced by a large
specially commissioned (approx 20m long) mural painting by
Ivon Hitchens which is of historic and artistic interest.
Other walls of hall wooden panelled to window height.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cecil Sharp collected, edited, performed and
wrote about English folk-songs and dances; he was the leader
of the modern English folk-music revival. He joined the
Committee of the Folk Song Society in 1904 and founded the
English Folk Dance Society in 1911; the societies amalgamated
in 1932. The building houses Sharp's library which he
bequeathed on his death in 1924.
Listing NGR: TQ2844683756
Other nearby listed buildings