This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5195 / 51°31'10"N
Longitude: -0.1269 / 0°7'36"W
OS Eastings: 530054
OS Northings: 181722
OS Grid: TQ300817
Mapcode National: GBR H9.NH
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.R28J
Entry Name: The British Museum
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130404
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477883
Location: Camden, London, WC1E
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081NW GREAT RUSSELL STREET
798-1/100/697 (North side)
24/10/51 The British Museum
Museum. 1823-47. By Sir Robert Smirke with later additions.
Portland stone. Planned as a big quadrangle with open
courtyard extending north from Montague House (the original
museum, demolished c1840).
2 main storeys in Greek Revival style. Built in stages.
East Wing 1823-26: built to house George IV's library and
Angerstein pictures (later basis of National Gallery). An
early use of iron beams clad in concrete by engineer John
Rastrick. Fine Grecian detail to interior with scagliola
West Wing 1831-4: built to house antiquities. Redecorated to
Smirke's original colour scheme 1980.
North Wing 1833-8: built to house antiquities.
South Range 1842-7: built as the principal facade following
the demolition of Montague House. 7-bay centre linked to
projecting wings. Ionic octastyle portico with sculptured
pediment projecting from a massive colonnade running around
the wings. Ionic order from the temple of Athene Polias,
Priene. Pediment sculpture depicts the "Progress of
Civilisation" by Westmacott. Fine interior with grand central
Round Reading Room 1852-7: by Sydney Smirke. Erected to fill
the open quadrangle, with domed cast-iron roof.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the museum expanded north during the C19, the
last main addition being the King Edward VII Gallery (qv),
1914, facing Montague Place. Some of the galleries were
damaged during World War II and have been remodelled for
Listing NGR: TQ3005981712
Other nearby listed buildings