This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5202 / 51°31'12"N
Longitude: -0.1278 / 0°7'40"W
OS Eastings: 529991
OS Northings: 181802
OS Grid: TQ299818
Mapcode National: GBR H9.G7
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Q1SY
Entry Name: The British Museum King Edward Vii Galleries and Attached Wall and Lions
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477532
Location: Camden, London, WC1E
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2981NE MONTAGUE PLACE
798-1/99/1144 (North side)
24/10/51 The British Museum King Edward VII
Galleries and attached wall and
(Formerly Listed as:
GREAT RUSSELL STREET
King Edward VII Gallery, British
Museum gallery forming part of The British Museum (qv).
1905-14. By Sir John Burnet, assisted by Thomas Tait. Portland
stone and marble.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and semi-basement, 21 bays. Symmetrical
Edwardian Beaux Arts facade with a screen of attached Ionic
columns on a podium and flat, higher square erections at the
angles. Commercial metal framed windows, on both floors,
between the columns. Granite door frame with inner frame of
enriched marble. Above this an inscribed foundation stone and
gilded wreaths on the flanking columns. Cornice with
protruding carved lions' heads at intervals. Deep blocking
course with guttae at intervals and parapet above having, at
intervals, carved crowns with the initials ER under.
INTERIOR: in fine neo-Classical style. Low top-lit hall. Stair
lined with Greek marble; a pair of black columns with a large
Buddha between in the well and a gilt bronze lift cage to one
side. Galleries in trabeated Smirke style; stripped Classical
detailing. North Library, behind the stair, altered from
Burnet's original mannerist concept.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached stone wall to areas terminating
at either side of the main entrance with carved stone lions,
having crossed front paws, by Sir George Frampton.
Listing NGR: TQ2997681722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings