This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3713 / 53°22'16"N
Longitude: -2.7311 / 2°43'52"W
OS Eastings: 351450
OS Northings: 386295
OS Grid: SJ514862
Mapcode National: GBR 9YCG.H6
Mapcode Global: WH87K.0JQC
Entry Name: Church of St Bede
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130411
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56047
Location: Halton, WA8
Electoral Ward/Division: Appleton
Built-Up Area: Widnes
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Widnes St John
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 58 SW FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES APPLETON ROAD
2/86 Church of St. Bede
Catholic Church, 1847, by Weightman & Hadfield, in red sandstone with
slate roof. Large west tower with angle buttresses, gargoyles and
crenellations. The windows are paired lancets to nave, curvilinear
to the chancel (with stained glass) and trefoil to clerestorey. The
main entrance, in the tower is in Decorated style.
Interior: Side aisles formed by alternate round and octagonal
sandstone columns supporting large Gothic arches. nave roof has
exposed rafters with scissor bracing and simple hammerbeam supports,
whereas the chancel has rafters formed into braced collar trusses,
also with hammer beam supports. Plastered walls and ceilings
between timbers. Central altar of 1850 reputed to be a design of
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Large organ at high level in tower area.
Listing NGR: SJ5145086295
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings