History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farnworth, Halton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3844 / 53°23'3"N

Longitude: -2.7275 / 2°43'39"W

OS Eastings: 351706

OS Northings: 387751

OS Grid: SJ517877

Mapcode National: GBR 9YD9.9H

Mapcode Global: WH87K.26G9

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 30 May 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130417

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56055

Location: Halton, WA8

County: Halton

Electoral Ward/Division: Farnworth

Built-Up Area: Widnes

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Farnworth St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Farnworth

Listing Text

SJ 58 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES PIT LANE
Farnworth

2/94 Church of St. Luke

30.5.63 II*

Parish Church 1190 with C14 tower and alterations in C17 and C19. Red
sandstone with slate roof. Square west tower 5 bay nave,side aisles,
a south transept and chancel narrower and less lofty than the nave.
Entrance porches are opposite in north and south aisles. Tower has
corner buttresses, curvilinear west window and smaller louvred
windows to all faced at bell-stage. Aisle windows curvilinear or
lancet forms but there are perpendicular windows in the chancel and
south transept. Clerestorey windows are pitched dormers, very little
stained glass. The tower, chancel and transept are crenellated and
the chancel has crocketted finials.
Interior arcade gothic arches supported on octagonal columns with
exception of the 2 north east bays which are circular with stiff leaf
caps and common to the memorial chapel. The chancel has choir stalls
with poppyheads. Oak screens separate the chapel from the north
aisle and nave and the choir from the organ chamber. The chancel has
a fine panelled oak ceiling and the nave braced collar trusses. The
chapel contains good alabaster and marble monuments from 1635 and
1822.


Listing NGR: SJ5170687751

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.