This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3191 / 53°19'8"N
Longitude: -2.7388 / 2°44'19"W
OS Eastings: 350881
OS Northings: 380490
OS Grid: SJ508804
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z91.VX
Mapcode Global: WH87Q.WTZX
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 5 April 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 56069
Location: Halton, WA7
Electoral Ward/Division: Heath
Built-Up Area: Runcorn
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Runcorn St John the Evangelist, Weston
Church of England Diocese: Chester
The following building shall be added:
SJ 58 SW WESTON
Heath Road South
5/112 Parish Church of St John
Parish Church. 1896-7 by John Douglas. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate
roofs, stone slab to spire. W steeple, nave, S porch, narrow N aisle,
storeyed chancel built over vestries, N organ chamber.
Exterior: Steeple tower with 2 massive W buttresses with set-offs, shallow
buttresses to the S breaking through nave roof. 2-light W window under
hood-mould; stubby broach spire with gabled 2-light bellfry openings to
cardinal points, the sills brought down below level of spire eaves. Nave
wraps around tower; single lancet to W wall. Groups of flush lancet to S
wall, also to N aisle which is contained under catslide roof and stops
short of W end of nave. Porch approached by steps with retaining walls;
prominent gable coping and apex cross; 2-centred moulded arch under hood-
mould. Chancel: storeyed and much higher than nave with single tall
lancets to side walls (paired to sanctuary), and shouldered paired lancets
to vestry below. E window triple lancet under hood-mould; 2 lancets set low
to vestry. Organ chamber-simply treated with tall chimney stack at junction
with chancel. Interior. 4-bay nave; windows in deep reveals; 3 arches at W
end define baptistry, that to the centre taller than the others. Roof: side
purlin with braced collars to principals; wind braces. The N aisle con-
struction is original and striking: arcade posts and plate (the latter with
inscription), with straight braces, tie stub with straight brace from post
to principal; ashlar pieces. Raised chancel with 2-centred moulded arch;
arched-brace boarded roof. Fittings: choir stall robust, open fronted,
each bay with central turned baluster; polygonal stone pulpit with Cruci-
fixion panel; octagonal font, stone; organ (1898) by Alexander Fry; glass
by Percy Bacon Brothers.
A bold and original design; the church occupies a very exposed site. It
was financed in part by subscriptions raised world-wide by choirboys and
became known as the 'Choirboys' Church'. It is similar in design to
Douglas's church at Maentwrog (Merioneth) and was illustrated in the
Architect (64, 1900, p.248).
Listing NGR: SJ5088180490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings