This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2573 / 53°15'26"N
Longitude: -2.9489 / 2°56'55"W
OS Eastings: 336796
OS Northings: 373789
OS Grid: SJ367737
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZVS.C1
Mapcode Global: WH880.NDZ6
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 1 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55644
Location: Capenhurst, Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Capenhurst
Built-Up Area: Capenhurst
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Capenhurst Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 37 SE CAPENHURST C.P. CAPENHURST LANE
4/1 Church of the Holy
Church: 1856-9 by James Harrison, tower and much of interior of
1889-90 by John Douglas (Pevsner and Hubbard). Red sandstone blocks
with ashlar dressings. Purple tile roof. 4-bay nave, south porch,
2-bay chancel, vestry and 3-stage west tower with spire. Coped gabled
porch with kneelers has moulded 2-centred arched doorcase with label
mould. Remaining bays of nave are divided by heavy buttresses and
have 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and label moulds. Chancel
with diagonal buttresses and sill band has 1 and 3-light windows with
trefoil heads. 4-light Decorated east window. Squat tower is
buttressed and has octagonal stair turret at the south-west corner.
3-light west window with Edward VII Coronation clock above. Around
the top is a timber-framed stage of 6 by 2 small frames with weather
boarding below and pierced Gothic panels (now much damaged) above.
This carries a broached spire with small Lakeland slates and a louvred
Interior: Arch-braced collar roof to nave, sprung from stone
carved-head corbels. Splayed reveals to the windows. Broad low tower
arch reveals font behind. 2-centred chancel arch on octagonal
responds. Scissor-braced wagon roof. Panel to sides of good stone
reredos carved in manner of medieval tiles with Ten Commandments
inscribed above, in Arts and Crafts style script.
Listing NGR: SJ3679673789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings