This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2648 / 53°15'53"N
Longitude: -2.8386 / 2°50'19"W
OS Eastings: 344158
OS Northings: 374523
OS Grid: SJ441745
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZMP.7D
Mapcode Global: WH882.C6HH
Entry Name: Retaining Wall Bounding Churchyard of St Mary's Church on West, South and Half on East Side Including Gate Piers at South West Corner
Listing Date: 17 June 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55432
Location: Thornton-le-Moors, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Thornton-le-Moors
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton-le-Moors with Ince and Elton
Church of England Diocese: Chester
Retaining wall bounding churchyard of St Mary's church on west, south and half of east side including gate piers at south west corner
Walls and gatepiers. C18th and C19th. Square coursed rubble in
different builds, with plain flush or chamfered coping or none.
Stands to c 4 ft high externally, on west, south and half of east side
of churchyard. West of north aisle of church incorporates the wall of
late C19th basement heating chamber of the church. South part of wall
on eastern side is probably c1858, when the churchyard was extended on
that side. Piers are plain posts with roll section heads between
later simple scrolled iron strap. Piers are inscribed T MORRIS
C[HURCH] W[ARDEN] and WM BURNELL C [HURCH] W [ARDEN] ? 1776. Retaining
wall is on either side of 4 stone steps, of which 3 are old.
Listing NGR: SJ 44158 74523
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings