This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1856 / 53°11'8"N
Longitude: -2.8367 / 2°50'12"W
OS Eastings: 344187
OS Northings: 365714
OS Grid: SJ441657
Mapcode National: GBR 7D.37FV
Mapcode Global: WH88G.D6F6
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 22 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55460
Location: Christleton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Christleton
Built-Up Area: Waverton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Christleton St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 46 NW CHRISTLETON C.P. LITTLE HEATH ROAD
3/14 The Old Hall (formerly
listed as The Rectory)
Formerly hall, later rectory, now house: early C17 with late C19
extensions and brick skin. Ruabon red brick skin to earlier timber
framing. Welsh slate roof. 2 gable brick chimneys. 2 and 3-storey,
7-bay front. Left 2 bays of 2 storeys, an addition with sashes.
Remainder has a nearby symmetrical front, with plinth and
ball-finialled end pilasters on the body and on the corners of a
central 3-storey gabled projection. Windows are 12-pane sashes under
cambered brick heads, the upper ones in gabled half dormers. To left
is the original but moved heavily moulded wooden doorcase with carved
base stops and a studded oak 4-board door.
Interior: Entry into hall made from 2 rooms. Resited C19 4-centred
arched stone fireplace with original Jacobean overmantel with
strapwork and perspective panels, one with a unicorn rampant, one with
an eagle in a tree. Ceiling panels between heavy beams, have
strapwork borders and central panels. Ceiling carried on posts with
carved and shaped heads. 6-panelled doors with raised fields in
bolection moulded architraves. Parlour to right has restored oak
wainscotting above a painted dado with raised fields. Late C19
Jacobean fireplace and overmantel. Ceiling has original Jacobean
cornice and strapwork panels.
Beyond the hall is the "Pillar Room" with 2 pairs of carved mahogany
balusters supporting central ceiling beam, with heavy Victorian stucco
work. Resited Jacobean oak well staircase in former gabled porch.
Shaped flat balusters, square newels with carved finials, and restored
handrails. On 1st floor is main chamber, now known as the library.
This has the best ceiling, the beams plastered to form a dentil
cornice. Good strapwork details, central panel with a pendant,
6-panelled Jacobean doors (some restored) throughout this room.
Listing NGR: SJ4418765714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings