History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Dunham-on-the-Hill, Cheshire West and Chester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2521 / 53°15'7"N

Longitude: -2.7924 / 2°47'32"W

OS Eastings: 347227

OS Northings: 373075

OS Grid: SJ472730

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZYT.7Y

Mapcode Global: WH883.2JK8

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 20 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1130685

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55398

Location: Dunham-on-the-Hill, Cheshire West and Chester, WA6

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Dunham-on-the-Hill and Hapsford

Built-Up Area: Dunham-on-the-Hill

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Dunham-on-the-Hill St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Elton

Listing Text

SJ 47SE DUNHAM ON THE HILL C.P. CHESTER ROAD (WEST SIDE)

5/15 Church of St Luke

II

Church. 1860-1 by James Harrison in early C14th style. Sandstone,
slate roof. Nave and chancel with bellcote at west end. South porch,
north and south vestries. 3 bay aisleless nave windows have pointed
heads and reticulated tracery. 2-light nave windows have plain leaded
lights. 4-light west window and 3-light east window have stained
glass. Outer porch doorway has hood mould with returned stops. 3
niches within porch, one on left, 2 on right, have pointed heads.
Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, stone gable parapet, stone crosses
at east end of nave and chancel. Interior: Timber screen has
linenfold panelling. Pine pews. Octagonal stone font inscribed and
dated 1863 has octagonal pedestal and base. Octagonal timber pulpit
Panelled screen behind altar. Cross designed by G.G.Scott and made by
Skidmore of Coventry. High Victorian style with heavy relief.
Elaborate gilt cross, brought from above choir screen, Chester
Cathedral 1921. Pevsner & Hubbard.


Listing NGR: SJ4722773075

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.