This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2028 / 51°12'9"N
Longitude: -1.7766 / 1°46'35"W
OS Eastings: 415701
OS Northings: 144862
OS Grid: SU157448
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZQ.FNJ
Mapcode Global: VHB5C.5139
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131017
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321456
Location: Durrington, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Durrington
Built-Up Area: Bulford Camp
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Durrington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DURRINGTON CHURCH STREET
SU 14 SE
6/145 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C12, C15 and 1851 by J.W. Hugall of
Pontefract. Flint with limestone quoins and dressings, tiled roofs,
but lead to south aisle. C12 nave with C19 north and south aisles,
a C13 chancel, C15 west tower and vestry chapel of 1973. Aisles
have pilaster buttresses and round headed lancets. C12 south
doorcase reset, a roll moulded arch on capitals with leaf
mouldings, and scale carving in gable. Two-light east window to
north aisle with quatrefoil roundel over, and shouldered east
doorways. Fragments of earlier work reset in C19 walls, including
two stepped crosses. Chancel has lancets, triple to east. West
tower is of flint and limestone chequerwork, two stages, angle
buttresses and plain parapet with corner pinnacles. West door in
square headed casement moulded frame and three-light window over
with panelled reveals, the tracery renewed. Single openings to
upper stages. Vestry is of sawn ashlar, with shallow wall arcade.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays. South arcade, late C12, of banded green
and white stones. Round chamfered arches on round columns, one
scalloped capital. North arcade is C19, probably a rebuild, in
Early English style. Tall panelled tower arch. Open C19 rafter
roof. Chancel arch also C19, with large foliage carved corbels.
Chancel is of 2 bays. Stone flagged. Carved arch-braced trusses
on C19 angel corbels. Columns to east window. South aisle has a
broken piscina. Fittings: C19 font, neo-Norman, with columns and
corners. Freestanding C17 carved pulpit with carved evangelists
with unusual attributes. Bookstand. Part of a C17 carved screen
behind the organ, dated 1634 carved with mantled arms, and a door.
Similar panelling to nave and south aisle pews remade in C19.
Readers' desk.has reset C17 carved figures of Faith, Hope, with
anchor, and Charity with 2 children. Streetland organ in oak
case. Glass: Mid C19 glass to north aisle. Monuments: In
chancel, 9 wall tablets: north wall: (a) White marble on grey,
to George Moore, died 1920, (b) Elizabeth Moore, died 1825, arms
and putto over. (c) Jonathan Moore, son, died 1818. shaped
pediment with urns. (d) Elizabeth Moore, daughter, died 1852.
Scalloped frieze. (e) Thomas Moore, son, died 1841, pedimented, by
Osmund of Sarum. South side: (f) Major Robert Poore, founder of
the Winterslow Land Holdings, and Land Court, in 1892, died 1918,
by Maile of London. (g) Tablet with frame, entablature and apron
with mantled crest, to Hestor Conham, died 1643, freestanding arms
over. (h) White marble on grey. A sarcophagus with fluted sides
To George Moore, died 1884, by Osmund. (i) Charles Snelling
Ruddle, rural dean, died 1910. South aisle: White marble tablet
on grey, to Sarah Fowle of Chute Lodge, died 1901. Brass with
rhyme, 1633, to John Poore, a child aged 3. Furniture: C17 Altar
table with framed end and baluster legs. C17 cane-backed chair,
and one coffin stool.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU1570744860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings