History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stourhead House

A Grade I Listed Building in Stourton with Gasper, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.108 / 51°6'28"N

Longitude: -2.3191 / 2°19'8"W

OS Eastings: 377754

OS Northings: 134347

OS Grid: ST777343

Mapcode National: GBR 0TV.GHS

Mapcode Global: VH97Z.RDBZ

Plus Code: 9C3V4M5J+58

Entry Name: Stourhead House

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1131104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321262

Location: Stourton with Gasper, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Stourton with Gasper

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Upper Stour

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in


ST 73 SE
(south side)
6/156 Stourhead House
Country house. 1721-24 for Henry Hoare by Colen Campbell, library
and picture gallery pavilions added 1796-1800 for Colt Hoare, east
portico added 1840, 1902-06 rebuilding of central block by Doran
Webb and Sir Aston Webb, following 1902 fire. Limestone ashlar,
Lakeland slate hipped roofs, ashlar stacks. Central C18 range with
added wings and pavilions, service court on north side. Two-storey
over basements, 5-window. Tetrastyle portico added 1840, from
Campbell's C18 design, Composite columns to modillioned cornice and
pediment with lead statue, from the Temple of Apollo (q.v.),
chamfered rusticated basement with 6-pane sashes, balustraded steps
up to portico flanked by large urns on plinths. Principal floor
has double half-glazed doors flanked by cross windows within
portico, casement with pediment either side. First floor has 3
blind windows in moulded architraves with 2-light casement in eared
and shouldered architrave either side, modillioned cornice to
balustraded parapet with corner urns, attic block above pediment
also with statues from Temple of Apollo. Flanking one-bay wings
and 3-bay pavilions over rusticated basement, tall casements with
cornices, small casements to attic, all front windows of library
are blind, balustraded parapets with ball finials added c1904 by D,
Webb. Right and left returns of main block of ten bays; principal
floors have Venetian windows and cross windows, all in Gibbs
surrounds, first floors have ten cross windows in moulded
architraves, good lead rainwater heads dated 1722. Library south
pavilion has French windows with lunette over to left return, 12-
pane and 6-pane sashes to rear, picture gallery to north has blind
windows to side and to rear, linking wings have 12-pane sashes.
Rear of main block has recessed distyle in antis first floor
portico with pediment and projecting 2-bay wings, all by D. Webb;
wing casements in Gibbs surrounds to principal floor, central
round-arched French windows to rusticated recessed entrance,
balustraded steps over basement and balustrade to portico added by
Sir Aston Webb. Service wing on west side of north court with 4-
panelled door, casements and sashes, the first floor billiard room
over added by D. Webb, diagonally-set outbuilding, possibly game
larder on west side.
Interior dates from after 1902 fire, rebuilt using photographs of
pre-fire interior, plasterwork by Agostini of Bristol, staircase
redesigned with two arms instead of one, fireplaces in Saloon and
Italian Room brought from Wavendon 1912. Library of c1800 survived
fire and retains Colt-Hoare's fittings; shallow-barrel vaulted
ceiling, stained glass in west lunette by F. Eginton, painted
lunette to east by S. Woodforde, fireplace from Wavendon, oval
niches over doors with Rysbrack busts. Picture gallery also
intact: white marble fireplace with classical frieze, modillioned
ceiling cornice, woodwork and fine contemporary furnishings here
and in library specially designed by Chippendale. Other fittings
include mahogany doors c1905. Despite the 1902 fire, this house is
important as a Palladian villa in England, set in landscaped
parkland and with the fine Stourhead Gardens to the west. The
London banking family of Hoares acquired the estate in 1714, the
old Stourton House was demolished c1720 and Stourhead built
slightly to the north west. Sir Henry Colt Arthur Hoare gave the
greater part of the estate to the National Trust in 1946.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1975; J. Lees-Milne,
Stourhead, 1964; Rebuilding Stourhead, 1902-06; National Trust
Studies, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST7775434347

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.