This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9688 / 53°58'7"N
Longitude: -1.9424 / 1°56'32"W
OS Eastings: 403878
OS Northings: 452527
OS Grid: SE038525
Mapcode National: GBR GQWK.81
Mapcode Global: WHB79.4HBS
Entry Name: Manor House and Manor Cottage
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Last Amended: 2 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323915
Location: Draughton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Draughton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 05 SW
Manor House and Manor Cottage
(formerly listed as Manor House)
House and cottage. Dated 1659 with late C17 and C20 alterations. Limestone rubble,
sandstone dressings, stone slate roof. L-shaped, lobby entry plan. 2 storeys,
5 bays. Gable end to street. Entrance right of centre has chamfered surround,
shallow pointed arch to massive lintel: plank door. Datestone above inscribed: R W
Ground floor left-hand former 12-light double chamfered mullioned window with 3 king
mullions, now altered to 8-lights and entrance with plank door; former staircase
window with chamfered surround and round arch; C20 2-light chamfered mullioned
window to former door. Ground floor right-hand former 6-light double chamfered
mullioned window with king mullion, now only 4-light with outer mullions missing.
Dripmould rises over former staircase window and drops to right of main entrance.
Upper floor four 3-light double chamfered mullioned windows, chamfered round-arched
staircase window and small left-hand C20 window. Windows have c1975 casements.
Gable end and right of centre ridge stacks. Rear contains C17 chamfered entrance,
plank door, 3 ground floor and 2 upper floor double chamfered mullioned windows
and small chamfered staircase window. Interior: front room to left of entrance
contains secondary late C17 fireplace with chamfered surround and 13 voussoirs.
Mid C18 fireplace inserted within the larger structure in mid C20. In the cross-
passage behind the fireplace, two scarfed spine beams have been interpreted as
indicating a mid C17 timber firehood (now removed). Two fireplaces back to back
would be a rare feature, and it is more likely that the fireplace was turned round
when the late C17 inglenook was constructed. In rear (kitchen) wing of cottage
is late C17 fireplace with chamfered surround, basket arch of 15 voussoirs, with
secondary mortices to take upper floor joists, now removed. Altered King post roof
Listing NGR: SE0387852527
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings