This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9836 / 53°59'1"N
Longitude: -1.8884 / 1°53'18"W
OS Eastings: 407417
OS Northings: 454182
OS Grid: SE074541
Mapcode National: GBR HQ7C.ZQ
Mapcode Global: WHB79.Y4YD
Entry Name: Priory of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323723
Location: Bolton Abbey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bolton Abbey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
BOLTON ABBEY B 6160
SE 05 SE (east side, off)
8/69 Priory of St Mary
Remains of the Priory of St Mary. C12, C13, C14. Ashlar and rubblestone.
Transepts and chancel, remains of other priory buildings only at foundation
level. Nave now the parish church of St Mary. South transept: C13, 2 bays,
only west wall survives, offset angle buttress with pinnacle, Decorated
style pointed arched windows with no tracery. North transept: C13, 2 bays,
offset angle buttresses, east side retains 2 bay arcade with triple-
chamfered pointed arches on octagonal pier and above 3-light cusped
recticulated traceried windows with four-centred arches, continuous
hoodmould. Remains of an east chapel. West side has C13 doorcase and large
Decorated window without tracery. Chancel: C12, C13, C14. 5 bays, bays
defined by offset buttresses, east end has offset angle buttresses, that to
south has a pinnacle. Bay 3 has a four-centred arched doorway with a
pointed arched opening to its right. Windows are large pointed arched of
the Decorated period; one to west of south side retains tracery of 3 lights.
Large east window of same period, has no tracery, above a small pointed
arched niche. Interior: in the west of the chancel is intersecting late C12
blank arcading with round-headed arches on scalloped and waterleaf capitals.
The crossing piers have scalloped capitals and double-or triple-chamfered
pointed arches. Tomb recess in the north wall, remains of the sedilia in
the south wall. Priory was a house of Augustinian canons, suppressed in
1539. Also a scheduled ancient monument (Yorkshire, West Riding) No 610.
Listing NGR: SE0741654188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings