History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints and churchyard wall, railings and gates

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burton in Lonsdale, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1439 / 54°8'38"N

Longitude: -2.5356 / 2°32'7"W

OS Eastings: 365112

OS Northings: 472139

OS Grid: SD651721

Mapcode National: GBR BNQJ.V8

Mapcode Global: WH953.03WK

Plus Code: 9C6V4FV7+HQ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints and churchyard wall, railings and gates

Listing Date: 24 June 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132430

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324126

Location: Burton in Lonsdale, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA6

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton in Lonsdale

Built-Up Area: Burton in Lonsdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burton-in-Lonsdale All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Burton in Lonsdale

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 01/06/2020

SD 67 SE
2/5

BURTON IN LONSDALE
HIGH STREET (south side)
Church of All Saints and churchyard wall, railings and gates

(Formerly listed as Church of All Saints and churchyard wall and railings)

GV
II*
Parish church. 1868-76 by E.G Paley. Snecked sandstone, slate roof. North porch, nave, north aisle, transceptal south tower, chancel. Early English style.

North porch of wood with tile roof; two-centre head, traceried bargeboards and two-leaf doors. Four bay nave; two two-light windows with two-centre heads and quatrefoils; hoodmoulds; one three-light and one two-light window, both with sexfoils. Four-lights trefoil headed window to north vestry. South transceptal tower of three stages with massive angle buttresses to south west corner and clasping buttresses to south-east. Single-light lancet window in first and second stages of west side, two single-light lancets in belfry with two quatrefoils above; corbel table, splay-footed spire. Chancel has one two-light lancet window with hoodmould and decorated stops to north and south sides. East window: stepped, of three lights with trefoil heads. Two small sexfoil windows above side lights and large nonofoil window above centre light; hoodmould.

Interior: arcade separating nave and north aise has stiff-leafed capitals now blind with c1970 glazed screen. Two-centre chancel arch. Exposed king-post roof to nave, stone quadripartite rib-vaulting to chancel. Piscina to north and two sedilia to south in chancel. Low wall to north of church fronting cross has iron railings of gridiron pattern and low, double iron gates to north porch incorporating two bands of pierced trefoils, with a similarly detailed single iron gate to the low east wall

Listing NGR: SD6511272139

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.