History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cross and Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton in Lonsdale, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.1445 / 54°8'40"N

Longitude: -2.5355 / 2°32'7"W

OS Eastings: 365115

OS Northings: 472201

OS Grid: SD651722

Mapcode National: GBR BNQJ.V2

Mapcode Global: WH953.03W3

Plus Code: 9C6V4FV7+QQ

Entry Name: The Cross and Manor House

Listing Date: 20 February 1958

Last Amended: 24 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324113

Location: Burton in Lonsdale, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA6

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Burton in Lonsdale

Built-Up Area: Burton in Lonsdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Burton-in-Lonsdale All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Burton in Lonsdale


SD 67 SE
(north side)
2/13 The cross and
Manor House
20.2.58 (formerly listed as
The Manor House)
Formerly Manor House, now 2 houses. c1700 with mid-C18 and C20 alterations.
In 2 builds: Left hand (The Cross) dressed stone, right hand (Manor House) slobbered
rubble; stone dressings, slate roof. The Cross: 3 storeys, 3 bays. Central
entrance made from louvred former cross window, transom and upper part of mullion
now forming 2-light fanlight; moulded surround; 7-panel door. 2 ground floor
and 3 first floor windows with moulded surrounds - all probably cross windows
with transoms and mullions now gone; C20 casements. On second floor are 2 widely
spaced 3-light chamfered mullioned windows with C20 casements. Manor House:
2 storeys, 2 bays. Left-hand entrance was former central entrance to whole property;
Gibbs surround, cornice and round headed pediment broken - possibly for a finial
now missing. Scrolled shield now illegible in tympanum, but apparently carried
date 1746. 2-light window to right of door on all 3 floors, with moulded surrounds
and mullion mising except second floor which retains flat-faced mullion. Above
entrance is narrow blind window with moulded surround which is probably the left-hand
half of a cross window with the transom missing as it is aligned with similar
first-floor windows of The Cross. Quoins. Gable end ridge stacks.

Listing NGR: SD6511572201

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.