History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2425 / 52°14'33"N

Longitude: 0.7128 / 0°42'46"E

OS Eastings: 585311

OS Northings: 263947

OS Grid: TL853639

Mapcode National: GBR QF0.724

Mapcode Global: VHKD4.9WPS

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Last Amended: 30 October 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467869

Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds

Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text


639-1/15/735 (West side)
12/07/72 United Reformed Church
(Formerly Listed as:
(West side)
Congregational Church)


United Reformed Church, formerly the Congregational Church,
originally built as an Independent Chapel. Late C17/early C18
core; interior reconstructed in 1804; enlarged 1869 and
refronted. Render to sides and rear; white brick front with
stone dressings. C20 tiled roofs, steeply pitched and hipped
to the older part, with a gabled projection on the east
linking with the C19 front.
EXTERIOR: the south side has a 2-storey range of 3 cross
windows, all with diamond leaded panes. The east front is in a
Victorian early Perpendicular style, the centre nave gabled,
with a carved finial at the apex and stepped and gabled
buttresses, the sides with a plain parapet and string course.
A large 4-light central window has curvilinear tracery and is
flanked by 2 tiers of 2-light windows in the aisles, the upper
windows with arched heads and cusped tracery, the lower in the
same Tudor style as the adjacent Sunday School building (qv)
with flat arches and hood-moulds. Below the central window the
wide entrance doorway with a 4-centred arch has moulded
spandrels with circular trefoil cusping. Boarded double door
with ornate wrought-iron hinges.
INTERIOR: galleried on all 4 sides, the fronts moulded, with
sunk panels; supported on cast-iron columns. At the west end,
a typical arrangement with the organ at the back of the
gallery, which is embellished by an upper arcade of 3
semicircular arches supported by square panelled columns;
decorative plasterwork in the intermediate spandrels. The
central pulpit is approached by stairs on each side.

Listing NGR: TL8531163947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.