This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3216 / 53°19'17"N
Longitude: -1.2765 / 1°16'35"W
OS Eastings: 448287
OS Northings: 380763
OS Grid: SK482807
Mapcode National: GBR MZJ1.F0
Mapcode Global: WHDDZ.CRCY
Entry Name: 4, Walseker Lane
Listing Date: 15 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335790
Location: Harthill with Woodall, Rotherham, S26
Civil Parish: Harthill with Woodall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Harthill All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HARTHILL WITH WOODALL WALSEKER LANE
(east side), Woodall
4/42 No 4
Farmhouse, part now outhouse. Late medieval Core encased C17/C18, altered.
Some internal timber framing, squared and rubble sandstone, pantile roof. 2
storeys, 1:4 bays, left bay lower and with rear outshut; 4-bay part being the
original timber-framed house. Large quoins to rubblework of bay 1, low eaves.
Left part of 4-bay range has part-glazed door flanked by casements on each floor;
wall-post positions indicated by breaks in masonry. Right part of range, now
an outhouse, has 2 doorways flanking a slatted casement; loft hatch over right
door. Roof hipped at right end. Brick end stack at junction of roofs, brick
ridge stack on right. Interior: timber-framed part has C17 axial ceiling beams
to left-end bay with both front and rear wall posts surviving on right. Adjacent
bay has front wall post, all others are removed. Of particular interest is
the roof of crown-post form with a decorated open truss above what was a central
open hall of 2 unequal bays. This truss has a double-chamfered tie-beam soffit
with outer chamfer continuous down the surviving front wall post; broach-stop-
chamfered crown post with curved braces down to the tie and up to the collar;
curved braces to the collar purlin. Adjacent closed truss on right retains
some curved-strut infill. Embedded trusses survive over the present house-
part, whilst only the tie beam remains at right end of range. A Manor is not
recorded at Woodall although the name appears in medieval documents as a surname
eg. a grant of 1321, by William Son of Adam de Wodehall. Nearby field names
of 'Hall Leys' and 'Hall Ings' shown on the 1844 tithe map together with the
obvious calibre of the surviving fabric indicate that this house is likely to
be of manorial status. The survival of a late medieval crown-post roof,
particularly in a rural setting, is of major importance in this region. Full
survey report filed elsewhere.
P. F. Ryder, Notes in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield
Primary Index No 1470.
Listing NGR: SK4828780763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings