This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3233 / 53°19'23"N
Longitude: -1.2603 / 1°15'37"W
OS Eastings: 449368
OS Northings: 380962
OS Grid: SK493809
Mapcode National: GBR MZM0.YD
Mapcode Global: WHDDZ.MQ2N
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows
Listing Date: 29 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335783
Location: Harthill with Woodall, Rotherham, S26
Civil Parish: Harthill with Woodall
Built-Up Area: Harthill
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Harthill All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET
4/35 Church of All Hallows
Church. Arcades of c1200, C13 chancel rebuilt 1897, otherwise C15, the north
aisle and chapel rebuilt 1850, restored 1886-90 by J. B. Mitchell-Withers.
Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch,
3-bay chancel with south chapel in 2-bay overlap of aisle, north organ chamber
and vestry. Perpendicular style. Tower: chamfered plinth and moulded band;
stair-turret door on south side. Offset angle buttresses flank C19 3-light west
window with head-stopped hoodmould. String courses below and above west
clock; pointed 2-light belfry openings with louvres and hoodmoulds. Gargoyles
to north and south beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave:
C19 gabled porch to bay 1 has pointed outer and inner doors. Bays 2 and 3, flanked
by buttresses, have 3-light hollow-chamfered surrounds beneath Tudor arches,
renewed tracery; string course beneath embattled parapet. 3 clerestorey windows
and parapet as aisle. North aisle has 2 C19 Romanesque windows with zig-zag
ornament, 2 clerestory windows as south; tall ashlar stack adjacent to tower.
Chancel: chapel windows as aisle flank C19 pointed priest's door with hoodmould,
chancel bay 3 has chamfered lancet window in rubble walling. Diagonal buttresses
flank C19, 3-light east window in Decorated style; aisle east windows in same
style, that on left reticulated. Flat-topped north addition. Interior: C19
tower arch and vault. North arcade: cylindrical piers with octagonal capitals
to 2-order round arches with light chamfers; south aisle piers similar but arches
pointed and double-chamfered. C15 roof with cambered tie beams, moulded purlins
and carved bosses. South aisle roof, C17 with some bosses. C19 chancel arch.
Two C15 double-chamfered arches into south chapel have crenellated imposts and
pier; trefoil-headed piscina and pointed-arched recess truncated by priest's
door. Fittings: octagonal font with corner shafts and arcading, Jacobean cover.
Fine, carved pulpit, lectern and screen by Carlo Scarselli, Florence 1877-80.
Royal arms of George II in north aisle; 2 benefactions boards in south aisle.
Wrought-iron screen in east bay of south chapel arcade, C16-C17; another at
east end of north aisle said to be from Kiveton Park. Stained glass: south
clerestorey windows said to be C16 (Garbett, p294). West window, 1876, by J.
F. Bentley; east window, c1898, by Kempe and Tower. A south window by Ulisse
de Matteis of the firm Francioni of Florence 1884 another to design of Holiday
by Powell, 1874. Monuments: behind screen at east end of north aisle and set
beneath a C18 round arch with keystone is a black and white marble tomb chest
to Thomas Osborne, Duke of Leeds (d1721); nearby a tomb chest to Hugh Serlby.
On chancel north wall a marble monument to Lady Margaret Osborne (d1624): kneeler
in recess facing right and flanked by columns and draped figures, open pediment
with finials and arm bearers.
H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-Woodall, 1950
Listing NGR: SK4936880962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings