This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4136 / 53°24'49"N
Longitude: -1.3451 / 1°20'42"W
OS Eastings: 443625
OS Northings: 390959
OS Grid: SK436909
Mapcode National: GBR MX1Z.L0
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.9GQC
Entry Name: Oakwood Hall Including Balustraded Retaining Wall Attached to Portico
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335694
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherham
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49SW ROTHERHAM MOORGATE ROAD
(west side, off)
5/59 Oakwood Hall
attached to portico
Large house with attached wall, now offices of Rotherham Health Authority.
1856-59 for James Yates. Coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof.
Double-pile plan with contemporary wing to right, set back; various additions
to rear. 2 storeys, 1:3:1 bays. Plinth. Central part breaks forward and
has band-rusticated ashlar walling to ground floor. 4-pane sashes throughout.
Stone steps to colonnaded Doric portico with paired front columns, plain frieze
and mutule cornice surmounted by balustrade with end dies and gadrooned urns.
2-bay returns of portico have attached single columns, entablature and balustrade
as front (no urns). Entablature returns above flanking windows of central part;
balustrade cornice returns as sill band to lst-floor windows which have sill
blocks and shouldered and eared architraves. Outer bays have shouldered and
eared architraves to windows of each floor. lst-floor band and lst-floor sill
band. Modillioned eaves cornice surmounted by balustrade with dies. Hipped
roof with corniced stacks flanking central lantern, matching ridge stack to
right. Wing to right, set back, comprises 2-bay link-block to 3-storey tower,
archivolts to ground-floor windows, tower with hipped roof and cruciform stack.
Returns of main range each have canted 2-storey bay. Curved retaining walls
attached to each side of portico have balustrades with dies surmounted by
Interior : inner entrance hall with tiled and marble floor; cantilevered
staircase with cast-iron balustrade; arcaded landing.
James Yates was a notable Rotherham industrialist being a partner of the Yates
and Haywood foundry. C19 directories show that he had moved from Carr House to
Oakwood Hall by 1859. Oakwood Hall served as a hospital during and after the
Listing NGR: SK4362590959
Other nearby listed buildings