This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4679 / 53°28'4"N
Longitude: -1.273 / 1°16'22"W
OS Eastings: 448358
OS Northings: 397044
OS Grid: SK483970
Mapcode National: GBR MXKB.6K
Mapcode Global: WHDDD.F317
Entry Name: The Earl of Strafford
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 21 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1132816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335522
Location: Hooton Roberts, Rotherham, S65
Civil Parish: Hooton Roberts
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hooton Roberts St John
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49NE HOOTON ROBERTS DONCASTER ROAD
6/13 The Earl of Strafford
(formerly listed as
29.4.52 Manor House)
Manor house (as shown on 0. S. map) now public house and restaurant.
Late C16 or early C17 extensively rebuilt in late C18 and renovated
c1983-84. Irregularly-coursed sandstone rubble, stone slate roof
partly replaced by C20 tiles, brick stacks. 3-bay, double-pile,
central block with single-bay wing to each side. 2 storeys with
single-storey additions to left return. Entrance front: quoins.
Early C19 stone porch to left of central block has bracketed cornice
and peaked blocking course. 2 windows to right and 3 to 1st floor,
all unequal 15-pane sashes in square-faced surrounds. Similar ground-
floor window in wing to left. Wing to right: altered tripartite
window now with inserted doorway in widened left light. Tripartite
window to 1st floor. Hipped roofs with end stacks, stack to ridge
of left wing and to centre of main block. Garden front: extensive
traces of C16 or C17 work. To right of central block: infilled
Tudor-arched doorway beneath blocked 2-light, ovolo-moulded, mullioned
window, both now cut into by C19 architrave to glazed door and
window opening. lst-floor band truncated to left by 2 three-light,
ovolo-moulded mullioned windows with iron casements and leaded lights.
Above, 2 three-light mullioned and transomed stair-windows with leaded
lights incorporating 2 stained glass heraldic emblems (one badly damaged).
To right, an infilled ovolo-moulded surround and 2 other similar
surrounds now infilled and housing sashes in square-faced surrounds.
Interior: retains some Tudor-arched ashlar doorways in wing to left.
Previous list description states: 'Lady Strafford, third wife of the
first Earl, lived here from 1641 until her death in 1688, together
with her only daughter Margaret who died 1681'.
J. Hunter, 'South Yorkshire: The History and Topography of the Deanery
of Doncaster , vol 1, 1828, p400
Listing NGR: SK4835897044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings