History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

32, KIRKGATE (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.795 / 53°47'42"N

Longitude: -1.753 / 1°45'10"W

OS Eastings: 416366

OS Northings: 433220

OS Grid: SE163332

Mapcode National: GBR JKK.34

Mapcode Global: WHC99.1WH0

Entry Name: 32, KIRKGATE (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337004

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 PICCADILLY BD1
(west side)

No 1
SE 1633 SW 36/955

II GV


2.
Includes No 32 Kirkgate. Corner site with Kirkgate. Built as the Exchange
Rooms in 1828. A Greek Revival design considerably altered on ground floor
with C18 shop fronts. Sandstone ashlar, 2-storeys with cornice and deep blind
attic. Windows contained in vertical panels. Pediment applied to attic over
entrance bay with pilaster framed first floor window. Recessed porch with
flanking pilasters and Greek Doric columns in antis, deep entablature with
2 laurel wreaths. Narrow splayed-corner. Kirkgate front has applied pediment
to attic supported by pilaster strip frame and 2 pairs of pilasters rising from
blind balustrade across first floor. Later glazing to windows. Important
corner site. Much altered. Included as the only public building remaining
from the early C19 and indicative of the new status of Bradford in its rapid
evolution from market town to city consequent on the industrialisation of the
textile trade.


Listing NGR: SE1635233219

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.