This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7947 / 53°47'41"N
Longitude: -1.7527 / 1°45'9"W
OS Eastings: 416388
OS Northings: 433187
OS Grid: SE163331
Mapcode National: GBR JKK.57
Mapcode Global: WHC99.1WN8
Entry Name: The Union Club
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337014
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 PIECE HALL YARD BD1
(The Union Club)
SE 1633 SW 36/964
1877 by Lockwood and Mawson. A large purpose built club of 3 tall storeys and
attic, sandstone ashlar, on corner with Kirkgate. Fine quality of masonry.
Gothic and Romanesque details. Steep pitched roof. Plinth and second floor
sill course, machicollated eaves. Romanesque shafted portal to Piece Hall
Yard, foliate carved cornice and balustrade over. Ornate lantern. Three tall
narrow round-headed stair lights grouped and stepped above. Gabled dormers.
Large gargoyles to corniced eaves. The Kirkgate front has modern shops on
ground floor. The first floor has 5 grouped, narrow, round-headed windows
lighting the club dining room. The range to Piece Hall Yard is extended in
sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings and has a large brick bay window on
first floor. Inside the main block, the stairwell has granite columns with
cast iron brackets rising to support the first floor landing. Cast iron
banisters to staircase.
Listing NGR: SE1638833187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings