This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7938 / 53°47'37"N
Longitude: -1.7436 / 1°44'36"W
OS Eastings: 416988
OS Northings: 433089
OS Grid: SE169330
Mapcode National: GBR JMK.4K
Mapcode Global: WHC99.5WZY
Entry Name: Former Sion Chapel and Presbytery
Listing Date: 28 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336534
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 HARRIS STREET BD1
28.3.74 Former Sion Chapel
SE 1733 35/151 - and Presbytery
SE 1633 SE 37/151
Now an Italian Club. Dated 1873, by Lockwood and Mawson for the Baptists.
Contemporary with the architects Town Hall but here employing a rich Italianate
classical style. Two-storeys sandstone ashlar, a large rectangular plan chapel
extending back along Peckover Street with presbytery occupying far end of site.
1:3:1 bay front. Engaged, richly carved Corinthian portico with central columns and
terminal pilasters backed by ¼ pilasters, deep entablature and modillion bracketed
pediment with acrotaria. The entablature is carried over one window slightly
recessed flanking bays with giant Corinthian quoin pilasters. Three panelled doors
to portico with broad pilasters supporting entablature at first floor level. First
floor windows in shouldered moulded architraves with small pediments and carved
apron panels. Carved scrolled lead decoration to circular date panel in tympanum
of portico pediment. One bay similar return to Peckover Street and plain sandstone
brick side range up to presbytery. This has a 2-storey elevation of 7 bays with sill
bands and bracketed eaves cornice. Slate roof, corniced chimneys. Recessed sills
with apron panels, the reveals carried down to sill band on first floor. Panelled
door with rectangular fanlight moulded cornice above on fluted console brackets.
Listing NGR: SE1698833089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings