History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ryshworth Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bingley, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8634 / 53°51'48"N

Longitude: -1.8482 / 1°50'53"W

OS Eastings: 410077

OS Northings: 440806

OS Grid: SE100408

Mapcode National: GBR HRJR.NT

Mapcode Global: WHC91.L533

Entry Name: Ryshworth Hall

Listing Date: 9 August 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133397

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337952

Location: Bingley, Bradford, BD16

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Bingley

Built-Up Area: Bingley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bingley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bingley

Listing Text

SE14SW BINGLEY KEIGHLEY ROAD
SE100408 (west side)
Crossflatts

2/95 Nos 1, 2, 3,
9.8.66 4 and 5
(Ryshworth Hall)

II*

House, now in 5 occupations. A house of complex development:
early C16 3-bay hall, later C16 4-bay east wing and extension to
south of hall making it flush with wing, early C18 extension to
rear of wing, mid C18 wing added to west, late C19 canted bays
added to hall and west wing with infill to rear between the 2 wings
making this the new entrance front. Hall and east wing timber-framed
with rendered walls (internal evidence), west wing hammer-dressed stone
with ashlar dressings, dressed stone C19 addition, stone slate roofs.
2 storeys, South front: west wing, to left, of 3 bays has rusticated
quoins, moulded band which ramps to either side, richly-moulded cornice
to slightly raised parapet. 3 bays off sash windows with architraves
and aprons, central doorway with architrave surround. Hipped roof with
C18 stack at junction with hall range. Hall range: 3 wide bays the
outer gabled with 2-storey canted bays with sash windows, niches set
in apex of gables. Central bay has doorway with wooden surround with
segmental lintel and Greek key ornament, sash window above. Oversailing
eaves. Lateral stacks to return walls. Rear: east wing (to left) has
doorway to left of 5-light mullioned-and-transomed window with leaded
lights, band and quoins to 1st floor which is of different masonry and
has 2 sash windows. Hipped roof with ridge stack. Similar fenestration
to west wing (to right) but with doorway with tie-stone jambs and sash
window to ground floor. Hipped roof. Infill between wings breaks
forward: 3 bays with central doorway flanked by transomed windows.
Hipped roof with stack to left of hip at junction with east wing.
Left-hand return (west wing) has 2 external stacks with moulded cornices
and offsets; set between, tall arched stairwindow, a C19 insertion
(break in stonework), with 24-paned sash. Right-hand return (east
wing) has chamfered plinth, large external stack (possibly late C16)
raised or rebuilt C19, to left of Venetian window with wooden surround
and arched lights, the centre light with Greek key ornament and keystone.
At right-angles 2-cell addition dated 1758 with quoins to right. 4-light
flat-faced mullioned window with recessed mullions to each floor, altered
on lst-floor of 1st cell which also has inserted doorway. Ridge stack
to right. C19 addition to right: 3 bays. Brick with quoined angles.
Square sash windows. Doorway with monolithic jambs set between 1st 2
bays.

Interior: hall has evidence of its early C16 date in roof: the range
is closed at either end by a king-post truss with 6 vertical braces
on each side of king-post with remains of lath and plaster infill;
second king-post truss with angle strut, and a more elaborate truss
which has a short king-post rising from a collar, the collar being
supported by straight braces from the principals. East wing of post-
and-truss construction with framed close-studded walls with diagonal
bracing and 3 king-post trusses; northernmost bay has stone corbels
supporting stone collar with mortices for fire-hood. The addition to
rear of east wing has fine 1st-floor panelled room with large raised-
and-fielded panels, bolection-moulded fireplace with good contemporary
cast-iron grate, casement-moulded cornice. A ground-floor window has
scratch marks dated 1727 and 1770. Hall range too has some fine C18
bolection-moulded panelling. A house graded II* primarily for its
timber-frame and unusual roof, a rare survival in this region. The
C18 work too is of high quality.

Illustrated in Samuel Buck, Sketches of Yorkshire Houses, C18,
reprint Wakefield Historical Society, p158.

RCHM (England) report.


Listing NGR: SE1007740806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.