This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9606 / 53°57'38"N
Longitude: -1.8835 / 1°53'0"W
OS Eastings: 407739
OS Northings: 451619
OS Grid: SE077516
Mapcode National: GBR HQ9M.0Z
Mapcode Global: WHC8G.1QC3
Entry Name: Farfield Hall
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337763
Location: Addingham, Bradford, LS29
Civil Parish: Addingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Addingham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE05SE ADDINGHAM C.P. BOLTON ROAD
(west side off)
2/33 Farfield Hall
G V I
Country-house. Dated 1722 or could be 1729. Rebuild of earlier C16
or C17 house evidence, of which remains; added music room and other
additions early C20. Ashlar, kitchen wing in hammer-dressed stone,
stone slate and lead roof. 2 storeys, attics and cellars. Double-pile
under 2-span hipped roofs. Yorkshire Baroque.
South front: 7-bay symmetrical facade, the 3 central bays projecting
having fluted Corinthian pilasters rising to support a pediment. Plinth,
rusticated quoin-strip,band, entablature, heavy modillioned eaves cornice,
parapet with vermiculated rustication (possibly a later replacement of a
balustrade). Doorway with architrave, consoles, entablature decorated
with carved foliage, broken segmental pediment, with an open shell where
the pediment breaks. Bead-and-reel ornament to fascia of centre piece,
back-to-back sea-monsters decorate frieze. Dentil cornice decorated
with egg-and-dart ornament. Acanthus modillioned pediment the tympanum
containing an achievement of arms with wreath. Sashed windows with
architraves. Cornice and parapet continue round house with urns at each
corner, and formerly one at the peak and to each side of single-storey
central pediment. Those to south front are missing. To left, C20 2-bay
single-storey addition has quoin strip and the entablature, modillion
cornice and parapet.Windows with architrave.
Rear: of 3 storeys has windows with raised plain stone surrounds and stair-
window with semicircular head, impost blocks and keystone.
East front: 5-bay symmetrical facade. Doorway with eared architrave
triangular pediment, rectangular glazed fan-light. Sashed windows with
architraves. To right, 2-storey music wing has 2 circular windows and
semicircular-arched doorway with rusticated voussoirs. 5 bays of sashed
windows with architrave. Band, cornice and parapet.
To west: attached to north-west angle of the main block is contemporary
kitchen block. 2 bays of simple Venetian windows with raised surrounds.
Alternate raised quoins, heavily moulded eaves cornice. Coped gable with
stack, 2 other stacks to main house, one to music wing.
SE05SE ADDINGHAM C.P.
2/33 BOLTON ROAD
10.9.54 (West Side, off)
Interior: Much early C18 panelling remains with pilasters and multi-
panelled overmantels. The westernmost parlour retains its original
decoration with bolection-moulded marble fireplace surround flanked by
pairs of fluted composite pilasters. These are ballanced by pairs on
every wall. Richly-decarated cornice, casement moulding, egg-and-dart,
dentils and pulvinated frieze. Completely panelled with raised panels
and moulded rail. Partitioned ceiling has foliated surrounds to the
panels. Other rooms and stair-hall have mainly C19 decoration with
greek Key motifs predominant. The original stair survives. This is
very fine and has open-well, cantilevered with 3 slender turned balusters
to each tread: one plain turned baluster, one twisted, one twisted of
2 strands; a moulded swept handrail, open string and slender newels.
The original service-stair is divided from the main stair by a walled
partition. This has closed string, fluted newels, moulded handrail,
turned balusters and rises to the attic. 1st floor retains much
original panelling and 2 fireplaces with Delft. The music room
has C20 contemporary decoration incorporating the Greek key motif.
Attic of kitchen wing reveals earliest feature of house:- an upper
cruck-truss dating from C16, with a king-post truss scarfed on to the
top of it when the roof was altered early C18. The original bell from
the roof is now housed in the cellar and has date inscription in relief
"MAKE NO DELAY AIR 1722 (or 9) COME AWAY".
RCHM (England) Report. N.Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (London 1979),
D. Linstrum, West Yourkshire Architects and Architecture, (London 1978),
Listing NGR: SE0774351618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings