This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9433 / 53°56'35"N
Longitude: -1.8716 / 1°52'17"W
OS Eastings: 408522
OS Northings: 449696
OS Grid: SE085496
Mapcode National: GBR HQCV.L5
Mapcode Global: WHC8N.64ZT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337786
Location: Addingham, Bradford, LS29
Civil Parish: Addingham
Built-Up Area: Addingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Addingham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE04NE ADDINGHAM C.P. CHURCH STREET
10.9.54 (north side off)
4/56 Church of
G V I
Parish Church. Late C15 rebuild of Norman church, traces of which
remain inside interior of tower (re-used stone with chevron decoration),
late medieval timber roof to nave, probably contemporary with Tudor
north aisle; west tower and south nave wall rebuilt 1757 (date on the
tower)-1760 by Joshua Brear, a local mason, (Church Minute Book,
Sheepscar Library, Leeds), chancel restored 1875. Dressed stone, stone
slate roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry and west tower. Classical
except north aisle which is Perpendicular. Plinth, rusticated quoins.
2-stage tower: 1st stage has window with architrave, impost and
semicircular head with keystone and Gothick glazing and clock in 2 faces.
Band separates the stages. South face bears date below 2-light belfry.
Parapet, crocketed pinnacles. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel with lower
roof all with semicircular-arched windows with keystones, imposts and
architraves. 2 doorways with Gibbs surround and triple keystone. North
aisle has 4 bays of 3-light chamfered mullioned windows with arched
lights and sunken spandrels articulated by offset buttresses. Victorian
east end has 3-light window with panel tracery and 2-light window to
vestry under separate roof. Coped gables with kneelers, that to chancel
surmounted by carved cross.
Interior: Nave has 3-bay Tudor arcade with octagonal piers lacking
capitals and 4-centred chamfered arches. Chancel arch is 4-centred
on square piers. A further bay to aisle east of chancel arch is
similar. Good 5-bay nave roof. King-post trusses with stop-chamfered
principals, curved braces to ridge, moulded tie-beams, 2 have carved
bosses. Tie-beam supported on stubby wooden corbel with curved brace.
Aisle has lean-to roof of 10 bays, straight principals with roll-moulded
edges. 2 trenched stop-chamfered purlins. West gallery carried on
turned wooden columns. Semi-octagonal baptistry set under gallery
retains C18 font of baluster shape. Chancel has C19 3-bay arched-
braced hammer-beam boarded roof which retains its original stencil
decoration. Several wall monuments to the Cuncliffe family of
Farfield Hall (q.v.) the best by Sherwood (Derby) to Eliza Parr, 1809:
the crown decorated with mourning figure and draped urn, the apron
with swag either side of inscription. Good fragment of a late Saxon
cross has two figures set under a circle in which is set a cross carved
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding (London) 1979), p72.
Listing NGR: SE0852249696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings