History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel at Bowling

A Grade II Listed Building in Bowling and Barkerend, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7721 / 53°46'19"N

Longitude: -1.7356 / 1°44'8"W

OS Eastings: 417521

OS Northings: 430676

OS Grid: SE175306

Mapcode National: GBR JNT.TC

Mapcode Global: WHC9H.9GR1

Entry Name: Chapel at Bowling

Listing Date: 13 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1133605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337363

Location: Bradford, BD5

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Bowling and Barkerend

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bierley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.

5111

SE 13 SE 9/1159 SANGSTER WAY
(North end, off)
Bowling BD4

II Chapel at Bowling

2.

Municipal cemetry chapel, disused and boarded up at time of survey. 1886. Coursed and ashlar sandstone, graduated green slate roof. 1 storey, 3x2 bays with porch across West end and apsidal east end Gothic revival style. Chamfered plinth offset buttresses between bays, sill band. Porch: side doorways have boarded doors with decorative hinges under pointed arches with hoodmoulds; angle buttresses with gablets flank four 2-light windows divided by pilaster which rises through a blind traceried parapet. Chapel itself has cusped 2 light windows with hoodmoulds which rise in lobes above foiled openings. West gable lit by two 2 light windows with cusped and foiled tracery under hoodmoulds which link to form base of a keeled shaft which rises to an empty statue niche; roll moulded
gable copings with stone cross. To left is an attached octagonal spirelet. North side has a separtely roofed vestibule with shouldered lintels to door and windows. Chapel apse is lit by single light windows with hoodmoulds; iron cross at apex.


Listing NGR: SE1752130676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.