This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7765 / 53°46'35"N
Longitude: -1.8121 / 1°48'43"W
OS Eastings: 412482
OS Northings: 431141
OS Grid: SE124311
Mapcode National: GBR J4R.JT
Mapcode Global: WHC9G.4BCR
Entry Name: Gate House Block, Highgate House, Rear Block and Chimney Stack at Thornton View Hospital
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337205
Location: Clayton, Bradford, BD14
Civil Parish: Clayton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Clayton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 THORNTON VIEW ROAD
Gate house block,
Highgate House, rear
block and chimney stack
at Thornton View
SE 1231 49/1101
Circa 1852-55 built as the North Bierley Union workhouse. Contemporary with
Lockwood and Mawson's Bradford Union and with similar massing and use of
Italianate detail. The gate house range precedes the 2 parallel ranges,
running north-south. All of sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Slate
roofs with bracket corniced chimneys. The gate house range is of 2-storeys with
slightly lower wings. Three bay centre with break containing archway. Cupola
on the ridge. Plinth, impost strings, large bracket cornice over ground floor,
panelled piers flanking archway and pilaster strips above flanking central first
floor window. Frieze and moulded projecting eaves cornice. The archway has
archivolt arch with spaced vermiculated voussoirs. Coupled, archivolt arched,
outer first floor windows with columns dividing the lights. Panels above heads
of ground floor windows. The wings have similar first floor windows and shallow
breaks on ground floor containing tripartite, columned archivolt arched windows.
Boardroom over archway with glazed dome in cupola, refurbished circa 1900 with
oak fittings, ornate plaster mouldings.
Highgate House, the main workhouse block, is a long 3-storey range with broad
gabled centre flanked by 3-storey parapeted towers. Eight bay wings have
2-storey gabled end breaks. The towers have eared architrave windows to each
face. The centrepiece has double pilastered doorway, archivolt arched fanlight
and large consoles to heavy modillion bracket cornice. Three eared architrave
first floor windows but on second floor full width range of 5 archivolt arched
lights with columns. The wings have sill bands and impost strings linking
archivolt arched windows. Two-storey 7 bay wing with similar details to south.
The rear range is of 2-storeys 18 bays long. The penultimate bays and the
4 central ones break forward with pediment gables. Sill bands and impost
strings. Archivolt arched ground floor windows, plain ashlar lintels on first
floor. Deep bracketed moulded eaves cornice. Large splayed panelled reveal
doorways with segmental arches. The impressive sandstone "brick" workhouse
chimney stack of tapering octagonal type with cornice crown.
Listing NGR: SE1248231141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings