This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7137 / 53°42'49"N
Longitude: -2.0983 / 2°5'53"W
OS Eastings: 393610
OS Northings: 424144
OS Grid: SD936241
Mapcode National: GBR FTSH.JH
Mapcode Global: WHB8C.RX0D
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Last Amended: 22 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339032
Location: Todmorden, Calderdale, OL14
Civil Parish: Todmorden
Built-Up Area: Todmorden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Todmorden St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 9324 TODMORDEN (former M.B.) BURNLEY ROAD
6/49 Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as Church of
St Mary, Church Street)
Church. 1770 with chancel added in 1896. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate
roof. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Tower may have earlier
masonry to base of 3 plain stages defined by string course. 1st stage has
pointed arched window with Gothic glazing and sash. Hoodmould with carved head
terminations. 2nd stage has small arched light to each face with semi-circular
arched belfry window with collonnettes set within a recess. 3rd stage is
embattled and has clock face. Weather-vane. 5-bay nave with 2 tiers of windows
in the same plane. A B C C B A. Outer bays have Venetian windows with raised
impost and keystone. 2 central bays have tall semi-circular arched windows with
impost and keystone flanked by doorways with rusticated surround and false
voussoirs and cornice. The left door covered by gabled porch with semi-circular
arched doorway with impost and keystone (late C19). The right door blocked to
form window. Over doors, semi-circular arched window with impost and keystone
with stepped glazing. Quoins, cornice. North side of nave has 5 bays of 3-light
double chamfered mullioned windows. Gothic Revival Chancel with gabled
transeptal chapel with circular window with tracery. Diagonal buttresses to
east gable. Tall east window with pointed arch and pannel tracery.
Interior: Barn-like nave with fling-post roof with rough overlapping purlins.
West gallery with panelled pews and fine oak balustrade, supported on 2 stone
columns. Loosely attached (to appearance) is the Chancel. Organ recess. 2-bay
hammer-beam roof. Screen in free Gothic is a War Memorial. The east window,
showing the Crucifixion, is a memorial to John Fielden of Dobroyd and is by
Kempe. Bell of 1603 and clock installed in tower in 1860. Originally a chapel-
of-ease of St. Chad's Church Rochdale, built on land given by the Radcliffe
family c.1476, of nearby Todmorden Hall (q.v.). N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West
Riding, (London, 1979), p.521.
Listing NGR: SD9361024144
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings