This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7516 / 53°45'5"N
Longitude: -1.8026 / 1°48'9"W
OS Eastings: 413116
OS Northings: 428372
OS Grid: SE131283
Mapcode National: GBR HTV1.KX
Mapcode Global: WHC9G.8YWV
Entry Name: Low Bentley Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 November 1956
Last Amended: 2 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338971
Location: Calderdale, HX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Northowram and Shelf
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shelf St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SHELF GREEN LANE
SE 12 NW (west side)
1/93 Low Bentley Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Low Bentley, including that
1. 11. 56 part used as a cottage)
G. V. II
House, dated 1600. Hall and cross-wing with added rear kitchen wing. Hammer-
dressed stone, stone slate roof. Double gabled frontage completely re-built in
1970's retaining some original details. Cross-wing flush with hall. All are
double chamfered mullioned windows. Cross-wing has 10-light mullioned and
transomed window with same over. Hall has large 14-light window with 3-light
over; all have hoodmoulds with straight returns. Coped gables with kneelers and
finials, lateral hall stack. Right hand return wall has side entrance with
moulded composite jambs and one original stop and 4-centred arched lintel with
carved spandrels with shields bearing the initials 'WC' and 'JC'. The top of
the lintel bears the date. String course runs over and round kitchen wing which
has double chamfered mullioned windows of 2 lights. Gable has quoins and double
chamfered mullioned window of 6 lights with king mullion, with 10-light
mullioned and transomed window over.
Interior: Open hall with original gallery with panelling carved with lunettes.
Stair retains original balusters. Some original arch-headed doors survive as do
board and muntin partitions to right hand cross-wing.
Listing NGR: SE1311628372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings